Thanks to the current lockdown fewer people are dying from air pollution

Did you know that thanks to the current global lockdown more lives are saved thanks a drastic reduction in air pollution than from slowing the spread of the virus? This means that before the pandemic broke out we didn’t care about the fact that tens of thousands of people are dying each year due to CO2 emissions caused by burning fossil fuels. What a pathetic bunch of loser we are after all.

Here is the article for reference:

3 Likes

…by the current lockdown…please correct it , dear friend.

1 Like

I think that the explanation for people’s fear from covid-19 is that it is easily measured: you can be either positive, or negative. Sick or healthy. When people don’t see the imminent danger (as it is the case with pollution, which is more subtle than covid-19) they tend to be much more apathetic. This brings me to the following questions:

Do you think that people will make a shift in their priorities in life after the crisis? Are people capable of making such a fundamental change in their characters on a global level? For instance, do you think that they would start proactively working towards a healthier planet? Will governments dedicate valuable sources to fighting climate change by reducing pollution and global meat production?

3 Likes

Hi Elida,

To be perfecrly honest, sadly I have to say: ‘No!, they will not think of it.’

3 Likes

The question is who is ‘they’? We have already established that only a tiny little fraction of all people are capable of thinking about complex issues such as climate change and global supply chains, etc.

3 Likes

‘They’ is the governments all over the world. Since May, 26th, last year, all our govenrment was concercened about was who got the most important portfolios and it wasn’t until last month they started ‘worrying’ about Covid-19.

2 Likes

Any nation has exactly the government they deserve.

3 Likes