Test incompl/inter-312, User's Answer 9

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #312 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (33)”, question 9

“My week off was a busman’s . My wife insisted that I finish building our patio deck,” the construction workercomplained tohis co-worker.

(a) holiday
(b) vehicle
(c) trip
(d) event

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #312 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (33)”, answer 9

“My week off was a busman’s holiday. My wife insisted that I finish building our patio deck,” the construction workercomplained tohis co-worker.

Correct answer: (a) holiday

Your answer was: [color=red]incorrect
“My week off was a busman’s trip. My wife insisted that I finish building our patio deck,” the construction workercomplained tohis co-worker.
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Does it mean that when one’s free time is a busmen’s holiday that one actually works,that’s to say ,one doesn’t do things which are supposed to be done on holidays.To put in a nutshell,one doesn’t spend one’s time enjoying in whatever one’s idea of holyday is but work?

A ‘busman’s holiday’ is a holiday where the holiday-maker does the same sort of things on holiday as they do when they are in work (whatever that work may be).

I think it stems from the idea that a bus driver by trade would be likely to drive to/from a holiday destination at the beginning/end of their holiday (as well as possibly driving during the holiday).

many a number of thanks to you all my dears

sincerely yours