Tense with "lest"

Dear teachers,

Please choose the correct sentences: (don’t use should)

1.He dared not spend the money lest someone ask where he had got it.
2.He dared not spend the money lest someone asked where he had got it.
3.She began to be worried lest he have met with some accident.
4.She began to be worried lest he had met with some accident.

Is there a rule?

Thanks
Quoc

Hi Quoc

Why did you write (don’t use should)? Or was that a little clue from your teacher? :wink:

I’d say the correct sentence is 2.He dared not spend the money lest someone asked where he had got it.

The word lest isn’t used very often, but when it is, it can be used to mean “for fear that” or “in case” or “so that … not”. Lest is often used with the subjunctive or should.

By the way, the sentences apparently come from “A Practical English Grammar” (Thomson & Martinet)

Amy

Dear teacher,

You will choose (1) or (2)? (What sentence is correct?)
1.She began to be worried lest he have met with some accident.
2.She began to be worried lest he had met with some accident.

Quoc

Sentence 2 (originally sentence 4) might possibly be seen as correct, but I doubt I’d ever actually use such a sentence.

I’d say the rule your teacher might be looking for is the use of the subjunctive rather than a “should” construction.

Hi everyone!

I found the following sentence and I had the doubt about the meaning of the word LEST, but with the explanation I think I understand now when it means “for fear that”.

“I was vexed at the interruption, and very uncomfortable, LEST the people should observe and resent what was passing”.

Could you give some examples of LEST when its meaning is “in case” or “so that … not”?

Regards.

When ‘lest’ is used after a clause indicating fear or discomfort (as in your sentence) it means ‘because of the possibility of something undesirable happening’ or ‘in case’.
In your sentence:
I was uncomfortable about the interruption, in case the people should notice it…

Examples here:
oxfordadvancedlearnersdictio … onary/lest