Technology is increasingly being used to monitor what people are saying and doing

IELTS task 2

Please, correct and rate my essay!

Nowadays technology is increasingly being used to monitor what people are saying and doing (for example, through cellphone tracking and security cameras). In many cases, the people being monitored are unaware that this is happening.
Do you think the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?

Nowadays, we are being monitored by many ways, namely cameras of security and cellphone tracking and most of the time we are not aware of this. Herein, we will discuss the pros and cons of this monitoring.

Firstly, a frequent criticism of the increasingly use of technology to monitor what people do and say is the lack of privacy. For instance, a message sent by you mobile phone to someone might be track and people can know where you are. Another example that illustrates this lack of privacy because of technology monitoring what you are doing is how companies are building customers profile today: these companies collect data while you navigate on the internet and based on this they send you advertising about products you are interested.

On the other hand, a positive aspect of the use of technology to monitor people play a important role in safety. For example, the use of security cameras in some locations such as banks, shoppings and schools might prevent some crimes or help to identify criminals. Furthermore, cellphone tracking is very useful helping to find people disappeared or kidnapped. One specif example: last week in my city, a little boy got lost while he come back home from school. The parents could find him through tracking the tablet that the kid used to play games.

To sum up, although the use of technology have some downsides, such as lack of privacy, in my view, the advantages have more advantages, since it might prevent crimes and improve our security.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a Drama professor

Hi Nayara, I really liked your content, though see my comments about your first body paragraph. You do have quite a few errors in grammar and usage though. I think overall I would rate this a band 6.5