Talking to a child doubts

Hello everyone,

may I ask you to verify some of my doubts?
Is it correct :

1. to say to a child " get on the sofa" while she/he is on the floor and I want her to climb on and sit next to me ?

2. similarly, how to order her/him to be back on the floor : go on the floor/ get on the floor?

3. when she/he keeps to touch our dirty shoes in the hall , can I say " leave that shoe"?

4. Can I say " leave it" as another quicker way of saying " don’t touch it" ? when I want a child just to drop what she/he has in her hands.

5. when a child cannot yet read but loves looking at pictures in the book, is she/he watching the book?

6. while pointing at the same animals’ pictures everyday should I say e.g. It’s the lion, or It’s a lion ?

Thank you in advance!

3 Likes

Hello Czarek, welcome to our forum. Yes, in this case I would say “Please get on the sofa” or even better “Please come and sit next to me, sweety”.

How about: “Please get back on the floor” although this might sound a bit harsh. It might be better say something like “Honey, would you like get back on the floor and play with me?”

I think it’s better to say “Please don’t touch this/that shoe.”

Yes, I think “leave it” would work here assuming that the child has already touched it. However, if you want the child to drop it you should say so because “leave it” is quite ambiguous.

No, you can only watch a film or movie. In your case I would say “the child loves looking at the pictures”.

It depends. Both can be correct. If it’s a lion in general you should say “It’s a lion”. If it’s a lion the child has seen before and you have described it in more detail you can say “It’s the lion you saw yesterday”…

Let me know if this makes sense. Maybe @Andrea, @Sumejja or @Tamar or any other of our forum members will share their thoughts too.

Regards,
Torsten

6 Likes

Thank you, I wanted to make sure whether my thoughts were right.
Great Job!

Best,
Czzarek

3 Likes

Welcome @czarek1256 to our forum! I would agree with @Torsten. He has given wonderful answers. I agree with all of them. :hugs::blush: Take care, Andrea

6 Likes

Hi @czarek1256! I would also agree with Torsten and Andrea. I also have some other options to offer, specifically for questions 2 and 3 (the questions about the floor and the dirt shoe):

When telling a child to go to the floor, you could also say “Come down to the floor.”; “Come sit with me on the floor.”; or “Go sit on the floor.”

When telling a child to leave a dirty object, such as a shoe, on the ground, you can also say “Please leave that shoe alone”, or if it’s more of a command, simply “Leave that shoe alone.”

Again, what Torsten already suggested is correct; I just wanted to add some additional phrases you could say as well. :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi Tamar, thank you so much for answering this question and sharing your suggestions. They are very valuable. You are right course – the correct phase here is ‘leave it alone’ rather than just ‘leave it’. Stay safe over there across the ocean, we’ll soon start a new round of content production and are looking forward to working with you again.

4 Likes

Thanks Torsten. You too! :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you Tamar and Torsten, I was just looking for something like “Leave it alone” because it’s quick and clear. “Come down to the floor” is also great.
I have recently discovered an expression" Do you want me to pick you up?" - it is great but can I just say shortly “pick you up”? and what about being back on the floor " pick you down?
Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, you can say “Would you like me/do you want me to pick you up” and technically it would be possible to shorten the phrase to ‘pick you up’ but I would not use this form with a small child because I want my child to first learn complete and correct phrases and sentences rather than shortened ones. As for ‘pick you down’ – this wont’ work and should be replaced with ‘put you down’. Please let me know if this makes sense.

3 Likes

Okey, I see your point.
“I’ll put you down” “Do you want me to put you down” are fine.

What about : “Do you want to go down?” in a case when a child shows his/her dissatisfaction.
Thank you.
Best,
Czarek

3 Likes

I wouldn’t use this phrase in the given context because it’s too ambiguous. How about ‘Would you like to get back down again?’

3 Likes

Maybe it would be better to say:

“Must I put you down?”

Or

“Shall I put you down?”

5 Likes

Thank you but I thought that after “like” we need to use either “to” or '-ing". Am I wrong ?

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for spotting this. You are absolutely right it should read ‘Would you like to get back down again’.

3 Likes

Hello again,

could you help me please in deciding what preposition should I use:
You’ve got a beautiful butterfly on/in your T-shirt.
I’m pretty confused because in my language we use there “on” - I don’t want to do a loan translation.

Best wishes!
Cezary

3 Likes

You’ve got a beautiful butterfly on your T-shirt.

3 Likes

Many Thanks Torsten!

2 Likes

excellent article.

• similarly, how to order her/him to be back on the floor : go on the floor/ get on the floor?
1 Like

Hi John, welcome to our forum. You have simply copied and pasted a phrase from a previous post in this thread. Why?

2 Likes

Hello again,
I didn’t want to start a new topic because this one is still relevant in my case.
Could you be so helpful and confirm whether my sentences are right, if not, could you correct them? Additional comments are welcomed. Thanks in advanced :slight_smile:

1. What can we do with “poppers” ? These “buttons” on clothes. Can we say :Let’s pop? or Can you … your poppers?
  2. Can we say: Let’s hide under the duvet? or Get under the duvet, it’s bed time.
  3. Is it right: You trapped your thumb between the door and the door’s frame.
  4. What do we do with the curtains if we want to make darkness in the room at night?
  5. Can we say: Put the sticker on the wall.
  6. Game with throwing a ball, is it right:
    Let’s throw the ball in the teddy.
    Well done, teddy is down.
    Try again, you miss!

It looks like a story of my daughter form past days :slight_smile: If something is unclear or wrong with my post, let me know please.

1 Like