summer vacation

Summer vaction is coming soon. I’m interested to know how American college students spend their summer vaction.

1 Like

They study at the library all day.

TOEFL listening discussions: How many types of IMA passes are available?

American college students usually spend their summer working to make money for the next school year. Many of them have jobs during the school year and just work more hours per day during the summer, and others don’t work during the school year and just find jobs for the summer.

Many students have their own businesses — and even have employees — and they run those businesses during the summer. Some of them are seasonal businesses, such as house painting or landscaping, that are perfect for the summer months.

Some work as lifeguards at swimming pools in the summer. (At my local pool, it’s not unusual to see a lifeguard studying Dostoyevsky or Shakespeare during his break.) Some students work at summer camps, and others work at internships with large companies.

Students who live in a city almost all live at home and commute to college, and almost all of them have jobs all year. Students who live in a “college town” may not have many opportunities to work, but they start looking for jobs before the semester ends and stay for the summer.

When I was in college, I worked 20 hours a week in a factory during the school year, and during school vacations I worked 40 hours a week. This took a lot of financial pressure off my parents. Most American students don’t want to spend their parents’ money if they can earn it themselves.

This sounds like a lot of misery, but it’s not. The students still find time for fun and traveling.

1 Like

American college students usually spend their summer working to make money for the next school year. Many of them have jobs during the school year and just work more hours per day during the summer, and others don’t work during the school year and just find jobs for the summer.

Many students have their own businesses — and even have employees — and they run those businesses during the summer. Some of them are seasonal businesses, such as house painting or landscaping, that are perfect for the summer months.

Some work as lifeguards at swimming pools in the summer. (At my local pool, it’s not unusual to see a lifeguard studying Dostoyevsky or Shakespeare during his break.) Some students work at summer camps, and others work at internships with large companies.

Students who live in a city almost all live at home and commute to college, and almost all of them have jobs all year. Students who live in a “college town” may not have many opportunities to work, but they start looking for jobs before the semester ends and stay for the summer.

When I was in college, I worked 20 hours a week in a factory during the school year, and during school vacations I worked 40 hours a week. This took a lot of financial pressure off my parents. Most American students don’t want to spend their parents’ money if they can earn it themselves.

This sounds like a lot of misery, but it’s not. The students still find time for fun and traveling.

1 Like

I’m a doctor’s son. But I first earned my wages carrying bricks for the next door brick broker , work in a garage as a part-time apprentice. My first wage was one cent, but I was so pleased. A jungly boy’s delight. Sank you. Oh, I was only nine or ten then.

I had to wash, iron my and my father clothes and sweep the big two storey house ( rented ) work in the back garden. My parents paid me 2 dollars per month Oh, we had three maides then. But dat was different story. My father said, if you don’t know how to sweep , the sweeper will cheat you, and you will not be a smart master. Sank you…