success or a success?

Hi all,
Could you help me out with this?
Which sentences are correct?

• It’s difficult to achieve success in this competitive market.
    or: It’s difficult to achieve a success in this competitive market.
  • Amy is the excellent secretary who have worked for our company for 30 years.
    or: Amy is an excellent secretary who have worked for our company for 30 years.
    Thank you very much for your help.

‘Success’ can be used both as a countable and uncountable noun. As an uncountable noun it means a state of things, as countable one - a person or thing that succeeded.

E.g. It’s difficult to achieve success in this competitive market.
Their latest product was a success in the market.

• It’s difficult to achieve success in this competitive market.
    or: It’s difficult to achieve a success in this competitive market.

JC: Both are correct. Like Pokemon said, “success” can be used either way. It would depend on what you what to say.

• Amy is the excellent secretary who have worked for our company for 30 years.
    or: Amy is an excellent secretary who have worked for our company for 30 years.

JC: Again, this depends on the situation. “the” is used to indicate specificity. In the first sentence, the listener knows that there exists an excellent secretary, and the speaker is saying that it is “Amy”. On the other hand, the second sentence shows that the speaker is simply talking about Amy.

My explanation is a bit confusing, but I hope this helps. :smiley:

thank you for all your help, but i wonder if the phrase “who have worked …” clarifies Amy and so we must use “the” here.

“who have for our company for 30 years” acts as a modifier to Amy, but it would not make “Amy” specific or would clarify it. Articles act on its own and would not depend on any subordinate clause. By the way, it should be “who has” instead of “who have”.