Students should take part in unpaid social works- IELTS Task 2

Hi Luschen. Could you please revise my IELTS essay? Many thank to you. Next week, I am going to take IELTS exam, but now I am not quite confident.

Topic: Students should take part in unpaid social works. To what extent do you agree?

Social works are currently popular in university or school. While there are many convincing arguments against unpaid jobs, I tend to the viewpoint that students should take part in that jobs for some implicit benefits.

On the one hand, it would be argued that most young people are already under enough pressure from their peers and teachers at school without being given the added responsibility of working in their free time. School is now just as demanding as a full-time job, and teachers expect their students to do homework and exam revisions on top of attending lessons every day. Also, students may be increasingly at the mercy of peer pressure. This is mainly because they have to study harder than others to get a better mark or job opportunity in the future. Rather than doing unpaid works. students should be encouraged to enjoy their spare time with friends or to spend it doing sports and other leisure activities.

On the other hand, I think there are many reasons for students to participate in unpaid social businesses. Firstly, it may raise students’ awareness of such issues as climate change, healthy habit. For example, taking part in environment clubs enable math students to think about how global warming affects natural habitat, which may not be taught in many algebra course. Secondly, students have a great potential to enhance their sense of community. Giving old clothes to poor people makes them sympathize with those suffering misery or illnesses. Therefore, unpaid jobs may do not have explicit benefits, but without them, students are not able to become a better citizens.

In conclusion, it seems to me that students should consider social works the main source of real-life experiences.

TOEFL listening lectures: What is one problem with contribution approach?