stick on tattoos

Hi. I am a great fan of one of the greatest rock band in history, U2. I have a question regarding to one of their songs, Please, including in his album Pop. What is the meaning of “stick on tattoos” in this lyrics?

Your catholic blues, your convent shoes
Your [color=red]stick on tattoos, now they’re making the news
Your holy war, your northern star
Your sermon on the mount from the boot of your car

Thank you.

I have just realize it is not the correct place to this post but i don´t know how to delete it. Sorry

Hello Isaias,

Somebody will move the post to the correct area, eventually.

Just so you know, you should have said “I have a question regarding one of their songs.”. You don’t need to use the word ‘to’, and you need to say ‘their’ instead of ‘his’ because U2 is a group of people, not just a single man. Also, you should have said " …in these lyrics", since lyrics are plural.

As for your question about ‘stick on tattoos’, I’m sure you probably know that a real tattoo is just a picture drawn on the skin by poking holes with a needle and filling those holes with ink. This of course results in a permanent image.

A stick on tattoo, however, is just non-permanent dye on a piece of paper. You get the paper wet, place it against your body, and then rub it with your fingers. Some of the dye then sticks to the surface of your skin.

It’s temporary, and will wash off easily in a just a couple of days. They’re often popular with young kids.

There’s even a brand of chewing gum that comes with a stick on tattoo printed on the paper wrapped around each stick of gum.

Thank you very much for your answer and corrections. It is very kind of you to help me so friendly