Stereotypes of Russia

What about Mr. Stalin and Lenin? Weren’t they prone a bit to ‘totalitarianism’? Let’s skip the question of mentally ill freakishness. What about Mr. Putin, his dictatorship is/was more than obvious?

I have heard over and over that Stalin’s policies killed a lot more people of the USSR than Hitler or Lenin and the Bolsheviks…

Is that true?

Neither Stalin nor Lenin were Russian so the Russians are not responsible for anything those two nutballs did. As far as Putin and Medvedyev are concerned, they represent Russia as it is today: strong, unwavering and optimistic about the future.

[size=200]“Na sdarovie”[/size]

Hey! get back in line you!!! :slight_smile:

What does this Ukranian woman have to do with Russia? Besides, the Ukranians say Будьмо while the Russians say на здоровье. Nobody says ‘Na sdarovie’.

The good leadership would come from Scandinavia. Both US and Russia are miserable examples of leadership. The third world countries were the most victims of the cold war. They (we) are still paying the price.

What an outfit! Gonna buy one for myself too :slight_smile:

:smiley:
That’s outsatnding British humour, buddy!
WhiteRussian 1-0 Political Lurker
LOL

Yes it is true. The Bolsheviks were much more worse than Nazis and have been hated here much more than Fascists, my grandparents told me so, as they knew it from their own experience. Stalin was a cleverer strategist than Hitler, who failed with his idée fixe. Stalin was more successful in his crimes since he killed only dangerous ones -intelligent and freethinkers. Besides just killing thousands he dispatched many to Siberia, where they were tortured to death.

In Ukraine Stalin killed about 10 million of people.

No - Its time you woke up to reality - The Bolsheviks were only cronies of the same Elite who control the Neo-cons Republicans and Democrats in America today - The same elite who lent money to both sides at Waterloo and in every major War since.

When you think of the world as “Countries” you are beaten before you start… :frowning:
Why else do you think the US is being destroyed before our eyes?
Do you honestly think the guys running the show give a curse about the American dream? - No all they care about is the money everyone owes them after everything hits the fan. The problem with Russia is the Gap between Super Rich and poor is even greater than it is in the US
Network was a classic and made in the Seventies but this rant still nails it pretty good.
youtube.com/watch?v=zI5hrcwU7Dk

If you still wanna talk about power - England has many more “Mansions homes” than any country on Earth.

Guess thats me told off Baggi - you must be referee :frowning:

Don’t be booking me?

The Chinese have been making inroads into the world of business for quite some time now, and they have been successful too, you have to give them that much.
As I said, Russians are prone to bragging. You sir are a case in point. You live up to that stereotype. Only there’s a fat chance of what you said ever coming to pass. It’s all hot air or wishful thinking.
=)

PS: C’mon, WhiteRussian, you know better than to believe in what you wrote! Wake up to the reality, before it bites you. :wink:

Dreaming is free, let him continue dreaming. :slight_smile:

I’d like to add my three words characterizing Russia: intolerance, simple-mindedness, incompetence.

Although, many of stereotypes that were mentioned above are negative and perhaps all of them are partly true, let’s not forget that all history of the world could have been different without Russia, ordinary and at the same time talented people who live in this country and whose ancestries saved Europe more than once.

Can we say something good about this country? Is the Cold War still going on in our minds?

self-sacrifice, Chaikovsky, patience.

The Russians beat Hitler plain and simple - 80% per cent of his troops went into Russia
It is also thought to be as many as 30 million Russians died in WW2.

We (or the west in general) have a lot to be thankful for.

Not if the Americans hadn’t pitched in, the Russians wouldn’t have stood a chance against Hitler and his followers.
America’s war effort in WWII is indisputable, they helped the Russians in no small measure.
The Americans lick their weight in wildcats.

Stalingrad was the end of the war in Europe as a contest that is military fact. After the Russians broke through the supply lines the front changed and it was only a matter of time before they reached Berlin - they were through Poland and almost into Germany before the US joined in(Many say only because they were worried at the Russians taking all of Europe now Germany was beaten) So everyone knows the fate of the second world war was decided on the banks of the Volga. The beginning of Operation Barbarossa was the largest land battle in history… 3 million axis troops vs approx. 4.5 million Red Army soldiers. The scale of battles on the western front pale in comparison to those in the east.

Just to give you an idea of battle deaths on both sides check these out:
EASTERN FRONT:
Stalingrad: 1.8 million
Siege of Leningrad: 1.5 million
Moscow 1941-42: 700,000
Smolensk 1941: 500,000
Kiev 1941: 400,000
Vorenesh 1942: 370,000
Belarus 1941: 370,000
2nd Rzhev-Sychevka: 270,000
Caucasus 1942: 260,000
Kursk: 230,000
Lower Dnieper: 170,000
Kongsberg: 170,000
Rostov: 150,000
Budapest: 130,000
and others with less killed

Whereas on the Western Front
Battle of France 180,000
Normandy: 132,000
El Alamein: 70,000
Battle of the Bulge: 38,000

The battle of the Bulge was fought against a beaten German army and the combined total of forces on both sides was a fraction of those killed in Russia

It is also painfully obvious the Germans were well beaten long before D Day

If there is some other information you have Tort please share details and back it up.

Thanks/but why oil?

Hi Sveta,
I meant petroleum.

adj. changeable; fickle
Correct word: (b) capricious
Your answer was: incorrect /?!/
your choice:versatile
see TOEFL W2,q.5

Please provide a direct link to the question which is concerning you, Eugene.