started/ been started. please help correct these sentences.

1. Don’t you want to see this programme? It has started or has been started.

It has started.

many thanks Beeeneees. Some more thing please help me.

Are these sentences right? Help me to correct them.

1. The plane has stopped in a small town. It then has taken off immediatetly after refuelling.

2. She was very happy when she heard the news that she has cried.

Sorry, why don’t we use the passive voice here?

Don’t you want to see this programme?

1. It has [color=blue]started. [color=red]Correct
  2. It has [color=blue]been started.

Is #2 completely wrong? I tend to use #2 because the programme is started by someone else not by its own.

1. is completely wrong in this context. A programme is not considered to have been started by someone else just because it is already running when you choose to watch it.
  1. The plane cannot be simultaneously stopped and started as your sentence indicates.
    The plane has stopped in a small town. It will take off immediately after refuelling.
    The plane had stopped in a small town. It had then taken off immediately after refuelling.

2. Should be ‘had’ not ‘has’,

in #2, will ‘has been/was crying’ go?

In the context when we are talking about 2 different people.

Hello, Beeesneees:

Please excuse me, but I feel very uncomfortable with:

“She was very happy when she heard the news that she had cried.”

Doesn’t that sentence need a “so”? Doesn’t that sentence refer to the emotions of only one person? In my (very) humble opinion, that sentence does NOT mean: Mona was very happy when she (Mona) heard the news that ALICE had cried.

Please help me with my discomfort.

Thank you,

James

James

If i go with your opinion and use ‘so’ then shouldn’t the sentence be :

…so she cried. (no has/had/was/has been needed here.)

Do you agree?

The sentence as written must refer to the emotions of two people. However, the use of the pronouns is probably at the cause of your discomfort, as it lack clarity because of them. You are right that there needs to be a clearer distinction as in your example using ‘Alice’ and ‘Mona’.

If the original meaning is meant to indicate one person only, then the sentence is wrong (and only the original poster can say what was meant).

She was very happy when she heard the news and/so she cried (with joy/relief/happiness).
More succinctly that would be worded:
She cried with happiness when she heard the news.

Thank you, Nehamangal and Beeesneees:

I was thinking of something such as:

She was SO happy when she had heard the news THAT she cried.

I should appreciate your comments.

James

Hello James,

Is the sentence below also correct?
She was happy when she had heard the news SO THAT she cried.

‘So that’ does not work, Screen.

James, your sentence is okay though of course there should not be too many occasions when ‘had heard’ would be more appropriate than ‘heard’.

Thank you, Beeesneees.