stand v.s. sell

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #281 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (3)”, question 3

“You better talk to your wife and work out your problems John, because a house divided against itself cannot ,” he thought to himself.

(a) sleep
(b) sell
(c) fall
(d) stand

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #281 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (3)”, answer 3

“You better talk to your wife and work out your problems John, because a house divided against itself cannot sell,” he thought to himself.

Correct answer: (b) sell

Your answer was: [color=red]incorrect
“You better talk to your wife and work out your problems John, because a house divided against itself cannot stand,” he thought to himself.
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hi,
I believe the answer to the question is stand, and not sell. :slight_smile:

Hello,
Yes, it should be stand and not sell. That’s an error and will be fixed right away. Good catch!

Hello,

I think that the essential part of this sentence:
"a house divided against itself "
Its meaning: a factious, inharmonious family which can’t become an unit and their opinion is different about everything cannot stand.

Hello,

I’ve read just now that in Abraham Lincoln’s speech played role this sentence.
The speech title was almost same:" House divided speech"

Quotations from the speech: In my opinion it will not cease, until a crisis shall have been reached, and passed. “A house divided against itself cannot stand.”- which a paraphrases a statement by Jesus in New Testament.
Origin: from the Bible Matthew 12:25 /King James version/
"And Jesus threw their thoughts and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand.

Jewish writer say on an other place: A religion divided against itself cannot stand.

Kati Svaby

I’ve read now:
A house divided against itself cannot stand.-nowadays it became a proverb.

Meaning:

Literal meaning (house meaning household).

Origin

From the Bible, Matthew 12:25 (King James Version):

“And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand”.