speaking the passage IV-8-8

May I have your attention please. There is a car in the east parking lot that’s blocking a stadium emergency exit. The car is a blue Toyonka coupe, license plate number YFG643. We need the owner to move the car immediately, or else it will be towed. Fans, we remind you to please respect the no-parking signs posted in emergency zones. These zones are marked with yellow stripes, and they are to be kept open at all times for emergency trucks and personnel. In an actual emergency situation, anyone parked in an emergency zone at the stadium is subject not only to a $200 fine, but can also be held liable for the condition of a person who needs emergency help, and could face up to 90 days in jail. We thank you for your cooperation in this matter, and hope you enjoy the rest of the game.

Hey Marla, where are ya? Hello. This is Fiona. I hope you’re on your way, 'cuz you know, it’s like, 2:30, and you said you’d meet us at 2 so we’d have time for lunch and to get to the movie on time. So we’re wondering where you are. Hope everything’s OK, and I’ll try you on your cell phone too. If you get this, remember that I have a new cell phone number. It’s 554-8448. You could also try Ronni on her cell: 555-6509. Me, Ronni and Chris are here at the restaurant, and we’re waiting on you before we order. But if we don’t hear from you in about five minutes, we’re going to go ahead and order something, because we don’t want to miss the start of the movie. OK, Marla, hope to hear from you soon. Bye!

It’s my great pleasure to be standing before you today. This is something that 20 years ago I never imagined I’d be doing. I came from a poor family, and when I finished high school I didn’t think I’d be able to go to college. But I kept applying to universities, and finally, I found one – Carver University – that offered me a scholarship. This changed my life. Without that experience, there is no way I’d have ever gotten a job at the Cornerstone Company, let alone be standing here as company president. Now it’s overwhelming to be back at Carver, looking at the faces of so many eager men and women who are anxious to get out there and make a difference. My message to you is: never give up. Ever. Dreams can come true. I’m living proof.

Hi, this message is for Liam. My name’s Andy Smith, and I’m calling about your ad in the Weekly for a roommate. I’m very interested, and I’d like to meet you and see the apartment as soon as I could. I’m new in town, and I moved here because I have a job with Boogle starting next week. I’m 25, a non-smoker, very reliable, and I have references from my previous landlord, Gil Harmon. If you’d like to call Gil before you talk to me, his number is 555-876-0987. Again, my name is Andy, and you can reach me on my cell at 519-623-8651, or you could call me at my hotel: 519-805-2123, room 207. Thanks, Liam. I hope to hear from you soon. Bye.

This is Stacy Wilcox with a WANG traffic update. Both major freeways are moving pretty well at this point. The only problem is a slowdown on Interstate 9 near La Hoya Street caused by a stalled vehicle in the right lane. State Route 6 is bumper-to-bumper from downtown through Buenos Verdes due to an earlier car-truck collision that has just been cleared to the shoulder, and State Route 12 is backing up near Mid-Town, where work crews are fixing potholes in the left lane. I’m Stacy Wilcox. Stay tuned for WANG news and weather after this word from our sponsor.

Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention please? It’s time for tonight’s “Lucky Fan” drawing. If your ticket stub is called, you’ll receive a wonderful prize package consisting of a team jacket, an autographed team poster, a $50 gift certificate to Big Steaks Restaurant, and two tickets to an upcoming game. OK, get your stubs out. Tonight’s winner is sitting in section 28, row G, seat 202. Congratulations! There she is, on the jumbo screen! To claim your prize, bring your ticket stub to the fan information booth adjacent to tunnel 28 before the end of the game. The rest of you, remember to keep your ticket stub from tonight’s game. It entitles you to $5 off a regular wash and wax at any Red Panda Car Wash location.

Is it time for a new job? We can help. I’m Tammy Nickels, president of careers dot com, and now is a great time to let us help you search for the career you’ve always dreamed of. Our professional staff will assist you step-by-step in updating your resume, posting it online, answering ads, and searching through thousands of job listings on your behalf. Instead of wasting your time reading hundreds of advertisements, let us show you to focus your search on only the most promising leads for you. We’ll update you on the latest employment trends, and teach you how to write resumes and cover letters that catch employers’ eyes and ensure you get an interview. In fact, we’ll even train you in interview techniques. We’ve placed thousands of people over the past 10 years. What are you waiting for? Call us now at 1-800-710-0999. That’s 1-800-710-0999, or visit us online at careers dot com.

Well, this is the moment you’ve all been waiting for. My name’s Trevor Kline, and I’m president of Freedom International. It’s my exceedingly great privilege tonight to introduce this year’s keynote speaker. What can I say about Arthur Davis? This is difficult, because Art has been a mentor to me – more than a mentor, really – a brother, friend, and confidant. He helped start Freedom International, along with Roger Montoya, and it’s due mostly to his great charisma, drive, and wisdom that we have enjoyed so much success. Through the years, Art has been a steadying influence and a guiding light. Even after he left Freedom International five years ago for private business, he has maintained a keen interest and always been, and continues to be, more than generous with his support and advice. Would you please join me in welcoming Mr. Arthur Davis!

I appreciate your coming on short notice. We’re all busy, so let’s get down to business. I assume that you’ve all read the story in this morning’s paper accusing us of unfair trade policies in South America. We know this is untrue, and that several facts the writer cited were inaccurate. But most readers don’t know that, and the reality is that suddenly, we’ve got an image problem. We need to counter this right away, and the purpose of this gathering is to figure out how. Research shows that a non-response or a delayed response from us will imply that the article is true, so time is of the essence. To begin with, I’d like to go around the table and hear your initial thoughts and ideas. Margo, let’s start with you.

It’s time to take off your sunglasses and get out the umbrellas. An offshore front is blowing these clouds our way, as you can see, and that means rain starting this afternoon and continuing for the next few days. We can expect overcast skies, with heavy rain at times and wind gusts up to 30 miles an hour. Highs should reach the mid-60s, with lows in the low-50s through Friday. We should have partial clearing on the weekend, and be back to sunny skies by this time next week after the front has passed through. Looking at the regional weather map, it looks to remain sunny and clear east of the mountains, with highs in the mid-70s and lows in the mid-40s. The southern part of the state will receive mixed sun and rain, with partly cloudy days and highs in the 60s.

Hi, this is Saundra Cleaver with Community Services. We will have a truck in your neighborhood next Tuesday, the 13th. We’re looking for donations of clean used clothing, cookware, household utensils, and books and games in good condition. We cannot accept computers or large appliances. We ask that you place donated items on your front porch or the curb in front of your house, set them out by 7 in the morning on the 13th, and mark them “CS” in large letters. We will pick them up sometime between 7 and 5, and will leave a receipt for tax purposes. If you have any questions or want to schedule a pickup for a different date, please call 672-910-4455 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Thank you, and have a great day.

Hey guys. Are you having trouble sleeping at night? Pat O’Donnell here, and I was too, until I discovered Snoozers. I’d tried everything – pills, tea, counting sheep – but nothing was working for me. Then a friend introduced me to Snoozers, an amazing medication that worked the first time I tried it, and has kept on working to give me the rest I deserve. Snoozers is an herbal remedy that interacts naturally with your body, leaving you relaxed and ready to lay down and sleep. Just one teaspoonful, mixed with warm water, is all you need to ensure a good night’s rest. Try it today for free! For a limited time, you can get a free sample by calling 1-888-666-5454. That’s 1-888-666-5454. Take it from me, Pat O’Donnell, Snoozers works! Don’t spend another night thrashing and turning. Call 1-888-666-5454 for your free Snoozers sample now!

That’s a fair question, and the short answer is no, we don’t plan to lay off any employees at this point. In a tough economy, we’re going to act just like our customers – tightening our belt and looking for ways to save money. We’ll be looking at ways we can conserve energy, operate our stores more efficiently, and integrate new procedures that cut the costs of gas and power. We’re also going to re-examine our pricing structure. We might have to lower prices and operate on a thinner profit margin for awhile. We value each and every one of our employees, and we won’t let them go until we’ve first tried everything we possibly can. So I can’t promise there won’t be layoffs down the road, but your listeners can rest assured that we’re committed to trying and avoid them at all costs.

Hi, I’d like to leave a message for Greg Lewis. Greg, this is Ian Butler from your book club. I’m calling to say that our meeting has been changed this week from Tuesday night to Wednesday night. Also, we’re going to meet at Tanya Phelps’ house instead of Robin Jones.’ Tanya lives at 357 Springfield Lane, and her phone number is 435-8796. The time hasn’t changed. The meeting will start at 7, as usual. We’re going to be discussing the ending of Moby Dick, so if you haven’t finished it yet, you’ve got an extra day. OK, I guess that’s all. See you Wednesday Greg. Bye.

Thank you! This is unbelievable; I’m floored. An individual award always reflects a team effort, and there are so many people who made this moment possible that I don’t know where to start, really. I’d like to thank my director, Felix Unger, for believing in me when nobody else did, and my producer, Charleton Hussey, for taking a chance on an unknown name. Renaldo Lopez, my co-star, brought out the best in me, and the whole cast was unbelievably talented. Oh, and I can’t forget Sheena Ross, our scriptwriter, who wrote such a fantastic story. Finally, I guess, I’d like to thank my family, who have supported my dream every step of the way. I’m honored to accept this award, not only for myself, but on behalf everyone in my life who has made my dream come true!

We are pleased to announce the grand opening of our company’s new day-care center, located on the third floor next to the lunch room. The center is open to employees’ children between the ages of 2 and 5. Starting next Monday, eligible employees can drop off their youngsters at the day-care center beginning at 7 a.m., and pick them up no later than 6 p.m. The cost is $20 an hour per child, and includes lunch and snacks. For those who work part-time, half-day and drop-in options are available. Our center features six experienced teachers, and includes modern play equipment and learning materials. It has 3,000 square feet, including a main play area, a lunch room, and three separate class rooms: one for two- and three-year-olds, one for four-year-olds, and one for five-year-olds. Don’t worry, moms and dads. Your children will be safe, warm, and, best of all, nearby! You are welcome to visit them on the third floor during lunch hour and work breaks.

OK, let’s go over a few important details. First, do you all have your employee handbook? If you need one, go see Ms. Chambers in HR right away. Please read your handbooks, sign the form on the back page, and return those to the HR department by the end of the day Friday. Next, timesheets are to be turned in to your department manager by 5 p.m. each Friday. It’s your responsibility to make sure they are filled out properly. If they aren’t, your paycheck will be delayed. If you have any expense vouchers or overtime documentation sheets, paper clip - do not staple - them, to the back of your timesheet. Overtime must be pre-approved by your direct supervisor, and you have to get a documentation sheet from the supervisor before working the overtime hours. Pay days are the 15th and 30th of each month, or the closest Friday if one of those dates falls on a weekend. Finally, please note carefully company policy in regard to keeping your work stations clean and projecting a professional appearance in your personal dress.

Can I have your attention please? This is a special announcement from the front desk at Saint Marion’s Hospital. We want to remind all visitors to use the east entrance door this week while the main lobby inside the west entrance door on Main Street is being repainted. The east hospital entrance is located on Border Street, and it is open each day during regular visiting hours, which are 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sundays. If you need to enter the hospital during non-visiting hours, please use the north entrance, located on First Street. The west entrance door will re-open one week from today. Thank you for your patience during this phase of our lobby improvement project.