Speaking Task

Hi everybody!

Here is my first speaking response on this forum. I do appologize that I did not use the most convenient option: recording my voice right on the forum via recorder. I will do it next time for sure. Today I already recorded my response with the help of my recorder.

Please evaluate my response and give your feedback. I look forwatd to getting it.

Here are questions:

Q1 Describe a skill you have that will be important for your success in the modern world, and explain why this skill is so important.

Q2 Some people work for a business, and some people work in their own business. Which would you prefer to do and why?

Q3

Link to the reading: docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … 5scFU/edit

Link to the listening:
docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … oyN1U/edit

Task: The woman expresses her desire for a work-study job. State the requirements necessary for taking part in the program and explain the advantages discussed.

Q4

Link to the reading: docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … dGWGM/edit
Link to the listening: docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … 01VFE/edit

Task: The professor gives two examples of symbiotic relationships that change. Expalin both examples in terms of what the original symbiotic relationship was and what symbiotic relationship it become.

Q5
Link to the listening: docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … 12bzA/edit

Q6
Link to the listening: docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … dEems/edit

Here are my responses in the sequential order:

docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … xDYTg/edit
docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … hTLTA/edit
docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … 9yck0/edit

docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … VCTXM/edit
docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … ZwRjQ/edit
docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jtVqK … hBeUE/edit

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a university service representative

Well if someone can grade it, I would be happy to procede using the recorder on the website. I spent much time doing these tasks. Will someone grade it?

Hi, your first answer was very good. Your pronunciation is excellent and I did not hear any grammatical errors. There was a lot of repetition of “cross-cultural communication” but since that is your main topic, it is not that bad. Your main problem is your hesitation and extended pauses. I wonder if speaking more slowly might help you to think as you speak and avoid the pauses.

#2 - This was a much better delivery, though you had a few minor problems. You stumbled a little between work and run in the beginning, but recovered quite nicely. Then for “many experts” you put the stress on “perts” instead of on “ex”. This is a minor error, but these wrong stresses really make it hard for me to understand. Then you said “no any” instead of “not any”. Finally, at the end you got tied up trying to figure out how to express your thought - you could have just said “earn enough money”. Still, your content was excellent. I don’t have that good a feel on how well you must do to earn a 4 on the speaking task - I would bet this is pretty close though.

#3 This question really did not seem to follow the standard format for speaking question 3 - this guy has excellent videos for each speaking question type and really knows what he is talking about - I would watch each one: youtube.com/watch?v=J-n_nOBDLd4
Anyway, for this question, you seemed to get all of the information, but your answer was not really organized. I would explain the announcement a little more fully, then go over the requirements written in the announcement, along with the student’s concerns, and end with the advantages given by the man.

#5 Hi, your speaking is very good in this answer, but you didn’t really spend enough time actually answering the question - which would you choose and why? In this question , there is no way to repeat everything the people say in your allotted time. This is a question where a structure can really help. Your sample question fits perfectly the standard format of question 5 on the actual test. Once again, I recommend watching this video and working through it with your sample question. Sorry to keep recommending this guy, but he is such a good teacher and gives practical advice that is easy to follow. youtube.com/watch?v=O2dU1JqlWS0

Thank you, Luschen, for your help. I am so grateful to you. Videos are very helpfull too. As I understand, I need to overcome hesitation and pauses. And, of course, I have to practice, practice and practice. Well, I will be practicing my response untill 3d of Feb, then my test will come :slight_smile:

I will try to get to you other answers when I get some time.

#6: According to the listening passage, the professor gives [color=red]an examples of [color=red]misconception that are provided by media and television. First she gives an example how crime [color=red]serious umm and news reports together create an exaggerated image of crime rates in the world. Secondly she states that such things like race and gender stereotypes are maintained by media [color=red]and hmmm by media yes. The [color=red]fourth example [color=red]is uh shows us that television uh [color=red]provides, uh maintains [color=red]unzonable expectations among students who saw how doctors are [color=red]perform well in their job, how [color=red]lowers win cases and so on. However the reality is absolutely different in comparison with [color=red]media world.

#4 According to the lecture, the professor gives several examples how the relationship uhh symbiotic relationship can be changed over time. First he gives an example uh when the bacteria, which is nature-al and essential inhabitant of our skin can become opportunistic pathogen for us mmm due to any kind of infection or damage of the, due to any kind of damage of the skin, bacteria can infect the injured area and become a parasite. Secondly, the second example is example with shrimps crops and corals. Corals are natural houses for shrimps and these corals can be attacked by sea star, however uh its defenders, nam-e-ly shrimps and crobs, can protect corals from attack of sister star.

Luschen,

thanks for comprehensive feedback. It is important to me very much. I will work on my response keeping in mind your advice.