speaking practice 2

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Government should spend money on some projects to encourage citizens to lead healthier lifestyles. Use specific reasons and examples to support your response.

Well, I don’t think it’s a good idea for the government to provide financial support to encourage the so-called healthier life styles, because healthy lifestyle, as a term, is ambiguous and highly subjective. I mean, a lifestyle considered healthy by some people might be the opposite for other people. Healthy lifestyle is more of a personal thing rather than a universally agreed-on definition. So, it would be quite difficult for the government to take out a plan which can satisfy all taxpayers’ needs. As a result, it is neither meaningful nor effective for the government to do so.

Wow, this is very good. Your speech is very natural, though you did say “supports” instead of the more proper “support” and you say “universery” instead of “universally”. Also, “take out a plan” is not really correct - maybe “create a plan”. Still, if you came up with this answer on the spur of the moment, I think you did a great job.