Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

First of all many thanks for this bright idea to speak in English.

“Yesterday, I sent an Email to clarify few points about a potential future job. Although the HR manager made it clear that I will not receive any kind of allowances, I still think it is a good opportunity to accept that position. In fact, the wage is quite good and more importantly I will live in a fast growing metropolitan city. I am already thinking of being a member of an English drama theatre there. In my country there is no such a thing, so sometimes I do some acting myself, because I take joy in changing my voice and intonation.”

Self-evaluation:

-I miss pronounced the ending potent’ial’
-I miss pronounced accept “cc” is not “z”
-I miss pronounced wage is pronounced wa’d’ge as if it is with ‘d’
-Possible redundancy in “I still think it is a good opportunity to accept that position”, it could have been better if I just said “I still think it is a good opportunity” only. As it’s always better to be concise and precise.

This is a quick review, if you have noted anything else please tell me.

Hello,

I share with you today -at last - I almost laughed my head off; Unfortunately I can say so humorously as I had heard. A theatre manager published a book, about the theatre where he used to work. It happened at the presentation of the book. One of the best actors -who can play drama, comedy ,etc. everything and he didn’t lose his talent though he is 78.

He was addressed to say something about this theatre where he is playing now. He began that he has a gold -rule that he never drinks alcohol on the day when he is playing. But, once happened an exception. He went to hunt in the dawn. And he met a company of hunters who offered him a glass of brawn wishy-washy. They were so nice that he didn’t refuse it. And as he drink it was very heady. He asked what it was? Nut-brandy -they told. I 've never drunk, it is very strong-he told.

But this evening he had to play. And he went to the scene and he could not utter a syllable. He played this play more than a year. He asked the prompter to help him. But he didn’t remember anything. After he asked the prompter that " Have I ever played this play?" Yes- Maestro you have been playing it for more then a year. He said to himself " I saw inside of my head, and this is so empty than an empty barrel ".

Then the director said: " here is your written role and read out."

He began, and the moment that he saw the text , in a flash it all became clear to him and he played better than whenever before. He carried his written text to the end of the play.

As he told us this afternoon as the hall resounded with the hee-haw of people. And I was very happy that I had a good laugh - I could really do with a good laugh.

Hello Katy,
long time no see.
That’s a very interesting and funny story. It’s really amazing how our minds can play tricks on us sometimes. Especially if we have drunk a little too much.
Fortunately everything went well in the end.
Best wishes,
Mauricio.

Today I paid a visit to two friends of mine. One of them is a mechanic and the other is an engineer.
They were in the garage fixing and tweaking the machines. I brought them some snacks, we talked a bit and made some funny jokes. But since they were busy I helped them as I could.
When home, I tidied up my room which was a mess because I was looking for some important papers. I have found the documents and everything is an order again.

Bonsai

Thanks a lot Cristovam for your kind reply. In fact I didn’t have the chance to practice English a lot but I read use dictionaries, thesauri and listen to the BBC radio live or podcast on a daily basis.
The radio helped me a lot to have a better pronunciation but it took me around 3 years to reach this level and I also have the habit to self-assessment.

I will be glad to talk to you via skype, check your inbox I will send my skype ID.

Hello everyone there,

Love to see regular practices to improve listening and speaking skills accepting the propositions of this topic page! Please keep it going! Every post here is indeed the stepping stone to take you to the desired higher level of English! :slight_smile:

Best of luck!

Mujibur

Hello everyone there,

Love to see regular practices to improve listening and speaking skills accepting the propositions of this topic page! Please keep it going! Every post here is indeed the stepping stone to take you to the desired higher level of English!

Best of luck!

Mujibur

Hello everyone there,

Love to see regular practices to improve listening and speaking skills accepting the propositions of this topic page! Please keep it going! Every post here is indeed the stepping stone to take you to the desired higher level of English!

Best of luck!

Mujibur

Hello everyone there,

Best of luck!

Mujibur

Hello everyone there,

Best of luck!

Mujibur

Hello everyone there,

Best of luck!

Mujibur

Hello everyone there,

Best of luck!

Mujibur

Hello everyone there,

Best of luck!

Mujibur

Hi again,
I am quite happy that in our country the use of internet is widespread but I don’t think it is used properly.
The most visited website in Tunisia is without any doubt facebook. It certainly helped considerably to spread dissidents’ videos during the revolution and at the end the dictator left the country.
But now most of the popular facebook pages are bought by political parties and they are used to back their agenda and to manipulate people. Furthermore, young people spend hours and hours gossiping, I think they are losing precious time without learning anything new, some have even forgotten about search engines they do their search directly and only on facebook. I think that it is important that you look for the information you want by yourself through the whole wide web.
Another drawback is the fact that young people use sms language when chatting, the result is obvious very poor spelling and limited vocabulary.
Internet is the richest source of information, they are ebooks for free, forums like english-test.net that help for free improve your skills and enlarge your knowledge, video tutorials and many other ways.
Internet is a double edged tool I can see unfortunately that it doing more harm than good here in Tunisia.

Hi Bonsai (Fakhri),

Thank you for your concern on proper use of internet! I appreciate your views to use this versatile resource from judicious use stands; internet browsing needs a conscience of deriving long-term positive effects. At the same time, your remarks on sms expressions are helpful, indeed, to raise an timely alarm!

Not only in Tunisia, if internet is used wrongly, it’s harmful effects would be dangerous for anybody from any country of the world!

Thanks,

Mujibur

As I wrote this it’s just a kinds of feedback because I recorded twice today unfortunately no voice message back to hear from other people.
Thank you.

Dear Professor Tersten, I would like you to intervene in this case how could I record a voice message on the forum and share it with native speakers of English and other learners?
Thank you.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.
My regards.