At last yesterday we brought home the cookery book. I translated. It was very useful for me also. Why?
- I had to look up lot of words.
- I prepare myself for the Christmas beigli-s, I will prepare 12 rolls.
- This Christmas would have been the first Christmas that I didn’t want to make beigli-s. I told my son and he answered me “okay I will make them”. I didn’t notice that he became sad. Nevertheless my husband noticed it and told me that 'restrain ourselves and make 4 beigli-s. 'I called my daughter-in-law and she was very happy and she told me that my son is continuously grumbling why I don’t make beigli.-s. So I decided that if I make I won’t make only 4 but as I used to make every year 12 ones I will make again 12 rolls because the family is big and nobody makes beigli-s only me. So not my son waited for them but the others also.
Beigli for 4 rolls
Ingredients of pastry:
60 dkg flour
30 dkg butter
2 dl sour cream
2 dkg yeast
2 dkg granulated sugar
a pinch of salt
ingredients of walnut filling
40 dkg ground walnut
36 dkg granulated sugar
2 cm vanilla
½ dl water
10 dkg sultana
2 tablespoonful of rum(if you like its taste)
(I put some dried fruits in it but now my husband told me not to put them because he thinks that they help them to split. But you are the expert and if you think you can put it 1 dried apricot and a tablespoonful of red cranberry.)
Ingredients of poppy-filling
40 dkg ground poppy
20 dkg granulated sugar or honey
Grated skin of 1 lemon
1 or 11/2 dl water
10 dkg sultana
I prepare the filling and the pastry previous afternoon.
First I begin with the filling. You need two pots.
1.The walnut feeling :In one pot you put ½ dl of water, sugar, the split vanilla , you have to stir it ,you bring to boil. Take off the pot from the gas, mix up with the walnut, you can put in 2 tablespoonful of rum.
2. The poppy filling: In the other pot you put the 1 or 1 ½ water +sugar stir it till it begins to boil, immediately mix in it the poppy stir together and take off from the gas. Stir in it the grated skin of the lemon.
Substance of the filling: the quantity of fluid depends on how much is brittle. If you see that the filling is very dry you can put to the both a little more hot water but really they have to be brittle because you put a half of coarse ground apple to spread it on the top of the filling, (the juice of the apple + sugar during baking can make a cream filling from it.If the filling has more fluid it is sure that they will split.
Wash the sultana with hot water, and dry them. You need them later.
- Sift the flour
- If the sour cream is cold put in a hot water to be lukewarm. Stir the yeast in it. After the yolk eggs and stir till it becomes very smooth.
- Combine the flour and the very cold butter -cut into pieces -together crush it perfectly. Add the sugar and the salt and at last in the middle pour the prepared sour cream (With yeast and egg-yolks)
- Easily knead together that your pastry will be similar to the strudel pastry. (It is good if you can make it in the previous evening and let it rest in the fridge. If you want to prepare immediately you can cut the pastry after kneading 4 equal part.)
Next morning Prepare the two baking tin. Put a baker paper on it.
- You cut the pastry 4 even part. You begin to roll out the first and the others put back in the fridge. You don’t put flour on the desk or very little. You roll it a rectangular about 30x40 cm.
- If your filling become very hard you can put a little hot water to it. It’s important that it can spread very difficultly. You bruh the rolled pastry with a lightly beaten eggs-white for the filling stick to the pastry.
- Sprinkle the quarter of sultanas and if you want the prepared dried fruits.
- Spread the filling in that way that on the upper edge and two side edge 2-3 cm could stay empty.
- Sprinkle ¼ part of sultanas on it and grate coarsely a half of apple evenly on the top of filling.
- Fold over the 2 sides edges and with your palm press them that they become even.
- You can begin to roll the pastry where it is You begin to roll on the part (40 cm) which is near you, where there is filling. You roll it very loose, the part without filling will be the fond of the roll.
- You put your roll on the tin. On one tin there can be only two rolls and between the rolls have to be 10-12 cm of distance.
- It is complicated to brush the tops. You put two blended egg yolk in a glass and the other glass loosely beating egg white. First you brush with the yolk. Meantime you begin to roll out the second part. Sometimes you see that on the first whether the yolk is dried on it, if it is drzed you brush it with the egg white. and wait that it will be dried. Meantime you do the same with the second roll.
When you brush with the egg white You have to poke it with a folk or with a needle that the produced vapour could come out. If you don’t poke them to their bottom they easily split from the vapour.
- After the first you begin preheat the oven 350°F. It needs about 10-12 minutes preheating. When the second is ready you brush it in the same way and you begin to bake both of them together. You bake them at 350°F for 40-45 minutes until golden brawn.
- The door of the oven can’t be opened for 15 minutes.
- Don’t cover the cake, put it in a room free from vapour for that their beautiful glitter should remain.
This is Kati 's recipe . Bon appétit !
With love from: Kati