Spam clean-up list

Hi Kati,

Everything appears to be fully functional again now (fingers crossed).
Fingers crossed that whatever’s been put in place will foil the spammers too. :slight_smile:

Hello Bez,

I hope you can foil the spammers too.(fingers crossed) !!!)))

Hi Bev,

I have to say that it’s funny to discover that also in English exists an expression so common in Italy, “fingers crossed”. My English is richer now. :wink:

See you soon.

I have a good feeling about this, I think this time the spammers that’s been pestering us are creamed, licked, vanquished, done for, no more!
I’m waiting with bated breath to see if the new system will live up to my expectations.

As Bev said, fingers crossed. :smiley:

Hello OTS,

I translated your text from English to English. Once I got frightened from many unknown words. When I see in the Hungarian and Oxford Dictionary I became very happy because these words are synonyms and their Hungarian equivalents are very common words.
So I would like to write your sentence with the explanatory note.

I have a good feeling about this, I think this time the spammers (1) that’s been pestering us =annoying us/badgering us/bothering us…
(2)are creamed = are completely defeated
(3) licked = easily defeated/dealt with our tricks
(4)vanquished = defeated completely in a competition
(5) done for = ruined/ destroyed or killed
I am waiting (6) with bated breath=holds his/her breath because he/she very anxious
to see if the new system (7) will live up to my expectation= will do as well as or be as good as other people expect to.

Many thanks for the new words. I like that you have a sophisticated style.

Regards:
Kati

Sadly, Tort’s ‘good feeling’ was a little off the mark. :frowning:

I’ve just dispatched ‘Anoarula’ … a spammer bot.

Ow! Ouch, it hurts. I was already so optimistic. Does everything begin again?
I am feel sorry for Torsten and ourselves also.

Don’t panic, be confident. :slight_smile:

Unless i am very much mistaken we couldn’t cope with spammers for about a year. Or more? But , BE CONFIDENT.

There was a night when a spammer and me were in the same thread ,in the same time.I immediately tried to write a letter to the Forum - but he/ she probably noticed and when I tried to send my letter, he made my letter disappear and only my slogan went through in Hungarian translation.This person was not only a spammer but a cracker also. I couldn’t use my laptop till my technician didn’t repair it next day.I couldn’t send a warning to the Forum only next morning from my husband’s laptop.

Lot of people didn’t believe this story,only my technician explained to me how could this happen.
Since I get into panic if I see spam or an invisible spammer.

In fact it’s a very strange story, almost unbelievable. Anyway, I hope that the problem is being resolved.

This is the brief account of the plain truth what happened to me during one night. I am not in the habit of lying or having visions in my mind. I am in my right mind.

My principle that I tell never lies because I agree with the saying: "A liar should have a good memory "

Though I have good memory but I realized that life is more simple if I don’t have to keep my topic under strict control.If I said always the truth it gives me freedom.

Correction:

=

= I am waiting [u]with bated breath/u =holding my breath to see if the new system will live up to my expectation(7)= if the new system will do as well as I expected to.

Really will the new system live up to OTS’s expectation?

1 Like

Well, the new system is in place. It does keep the spammers away but as of now it also has a flaw: I as the admin can only see a list of newly registered users. The list contains of usernames and email addresses. It doesn’t show me who is a spammer and who is a legitimate user. The function allows me to activate or delete a newly registered user.

I think what Bev had in mind by ‘pre-moderation’ is a system that allows new users to post messages in a part of the forum that only moderators can see. Based on the kind of messages the poster writes, a moderator can then decide whether to delete or activate the user account. Let’s see what we can do about it.

TOEIC short conversations: Offering a new heating filter on the phone

Whatever you’ve done seems to be working pretty well, thank goodness. I’ve only deleted two spammers since the new system was implemented. A few slipping through the net like that could reasonably be expected, I think.

1 Like

That’s very good news. I haven’t seen any spam in the last couple of days, but I wasn’t sure if people were still deleting large volumes. If the new system is working well, then many thanks to those who have done whatever has been done. (Hopefully I’m not speaking too soon or tempting fate…!)

1 Like

Yes, the new system is great when it comes to preventing spam. The drawback is that also legitimate users can not activate their accounts themselves. Only I as the administrator can do that but it’s very difficult for me to tell spammers apart the good guys as all information I have about them is their username and their email addresses. I don’t see any posts by them since they can only post after I activate them.

TOEIC short conversations: Requisition request

This one has slipped through the net and posted in a forum where I don’t have mod rights, so can’t delete.

1 Like

I’ve just removed
Suiyuan19
so would not be surprised if a new member with the same name but a different number tries to rejoin.

1 Like

Hello Torsten,

I believe that it can be very difficult for you to tell spammers apart the good guys .
And as far as I know you it can be a very awkward task for you. I really feel sorry for you but we couldn’t find a better solution to get rid off the spammers for the time being . I hope after a while the spammers will give up and we return to the old method.

I congratulate you on bringing the spammers to a stop.

Regards:
kati Svaby

1 Like