Sometimes success is harder to accept than failure. Write about one such situaton

CBEST Topic: Sometimes success is harder to accept than failure. Write about one such situaton you faced when success brought its own difficultese. What brought on your success? What difficulties accompanied it? What did you learn from this?

If I had lost the election for class monitor in my third grade, I am sure I would not have to deal with so many obligations, and could focus on studying or having more fun. But everything changed when I won the election. It really made me have more responsibilities , but was a signigicant for me.

At the beginning of third grade, our head teacher decided to make an annual class monitor lection. One day, she came to the class and told us the election would start as soon as possible. She gave every student a piece of paper to write down the name of student who would be qualitied for the class monitor. Then, she collected the papers and put the names on the blackboard. I was supprised that I was chosen to run for the class monitor. Finally, I gained the biggest prize and won the election.

I attributed my success in the election to two main reasons. One is my academic achievement that always came out first in the examinations, so every classmate knew that I was a good student in class. In addition, I was ready to help others any time and most classmates were my friends.

However, it was not as easy a job as what I thought. I needed to accept to a lot of duties every day. For instance, I would have to assign the class cleaning duities to my classmates and ensure that they can finish in time.As a class monitor, I faced many relationship problems. I needed to deal with not only teacher-student conflicts, but also disputes between students. The most important part was that I needed to keep studying and work well at the same time to obtain their respect. Due to my extra duty, sometimes I could not finish my study during the day. I had to compensate for this by studying at night. I began to learn how to arranged calendar for these situations.

I never regreted that I won the class monitor campaign, even this job made my school life harder. I undeniably learnt a lot things when I was a class montior. It made me pay attention to obligations other than studying, taught me to relate well to others with different personalities and arranged my time efficiently.

TOEFL listening discussions: What upsets the young man’s mother?

If I had lost the election for class monitor in my third grade, I am sure I would not have (had) to deal with so many obligations, and could (have focused) on studying or (in) having more fun. But everything changed when I won the election. It really made me have more responsibilities , but (it) was (significant) for me.

At the beginning of third grade, our head teacher decided to (hold) an annual class monitor election.
One day, she came (in)to the class and told us the election would start as soon as possible.
She gave every student a piece of paper to write down the name of (a) student who would be qualified for (being) the class monitor.

Then, she collected the papers and put the names on the blackboard. I was (surprised) that I was chosen to run for the class monitor. Finally, I gained the biggest prize and won the election.

I attributed my success in the election to two main reasons. One (was) my academic achievement that always came out first in the examinations, so every classmate knew that I was a good student in class.
In addition, I was ready to help others any time, and most classmates were my friends.

However, it was not as easy a job as what I (had) thought.
I needed to accept a lot of duties every day.

For instance, I would have to assign the class cleaning (duties) to my classmates, and ensure that they (could be) finish(ed) (on) time.

As a class monitor, I faced many relationship problems. I needed to deal (not only with ) teacher-student conflicts, but also (with) disputes between students.
The most (difficult and important) part was that I needed to keep studying and work well at the same time to (keep) their respect.
Due to my extra dut(ies), sometimes I could not finish my stud(ies) during the day.
I had to compensate for this by studying at night. I began to learn how to arrange (a) calendar for these situations.

I never regretted that I won the class monitor campaign, even (if) this job made my school life harder.
I undeniably learnt a lot (of)things when I was a class monitor.

It made me pay attention to obligations other than studying, taught me to relate well to others with different needs, and (how to) arrange my time efficiently.

A very nice essay. Well done.

Kitos.

Dear Kitos,

Thanks for your encouragement.

I have a problem with hight level words. Even if I know the meaning of them, I still always use them in some wrong ways.

Would you tell me whether the high lever words or big words are necessary for the essays? How to learn them better?

Sincerely,

Xin Liu

Good morning Li, your question highlights a point that I have often spoken about.

Long words can make an impression when used in the correct context, but reduce your writing to a farce when incorrectly used.

Do not be lured into trying to impress by using words whose meaning you are unsure of.

Concentrate only on what you want to say. Keep it simple, but if possible, keep it interesting.

There are many impressive essays that have been posted here. Some writers have the experience to use long words correctly, but the essays often lack feeling.

The simpler essays, for me, are the most impressive, because they draw me into the story and allow me to acknowledge the work that has gone into their composition.

Kitos. Step by sure step will get you where you are heading.