somebody isn't having any (of it)

Hello Alan, Mister Micawber, Beeesneees, Mordant, Esl_Expert and other native English speakers,

somebody isn’t having any (of it)
(informal) somebody is not interested or does not agree

• I suggested sharing the cost, but he wasn’t having any of it.

Here’s my sentence:
He asked her this morning to have some pizza this evening, but she looked like she wasn’t having any of it.

Any grammatical errors?

Hi Tofu,

Your sentence stands up all right but the meaning is open to conjecture. ‘Not having any of it’ in the idiomatic sense means that you are not in favour of an action. In your sentence the ambiguity is that it could mean she wasn’t going to eat any of the pizza, which I presume you didn’t mean.

I suggest:

He asked her this morning if she would like him to take her out for a pizza but she looked like she wasn’t having any of it.

Alan

Hi Tofu,

Your sentence stands up all right but the meaning is open to conjecture. ‘Not having any of it’ in the idiomatic sense means that you are not in favour of an action. In your sentence the ambiguity is that it could mean she wasn’t going to eat any of the pizza, which I presume you didn’t mean.

I suggest:

He asked her this morning if she would like him to take her out for a pizza but she looked like she wasn’t having any of it.

Alan

Thank you, Alan.

He asked her this morning if she wants to go to eat some pizza this evening, but she looked like she wasn’t having any of it.

How does this sound?

He asked her this morning if she wants to go to eat some pizza this evening, but she looked like she wasn’t having any of it.

You need “wanted.” This is clearly in the past, and “asked,” “this morning” and “wants” just don’t accord. I would drop “to” from the infinitive “to eat.”

It seems this is a deliberately informal sentence, but since you’ve done this before, I will point out that “like” as a conjunction is considered rather informal. “As if” or “as though” is preferred.

Thank you, Mordant.

He asked her this morning if she wanted to go eat some pizza this evening, but [color=red]she looked like she wasn’t having any of it.

Can I change [color=red]she into “it”?

Tofu, you can indeed. I would actually like it better.