Some sentences with 'yet'

A student to his teacher: ‘Excuse me, sir, (but) have you been able to correct my essay yet?’
'Excuse me, sir, (but) have found the time to correct my essay yet?
'Excuse me, sir, (but) have you corrected my essay yet?

The first two sentences don’t seem acceptable to me, but perhaps they are? What would you say @Anglophile?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

To me, all the sentences as recast below (with slight changes) should be acceptable.
(Usually the word ‘yet’ is used in negative sentences)

1. Excuse me, Sir; have you been able to correct my essay?
  2. Excuse me, Sir. Haven’t you found the time to correct my essay yet?
  3. Excuse me, Sir, (but) have you corrected my essay?
3 Likes

Thank you for answers, they’re really useful as always. But I think ‘yet’ is also used in (you said usually the word ‘yet’ is used in negatives sentences) interrogative sentences. I found a sentece in the Cambrigde Dictionary Online:

• Has he found himself a place to live yet?

I also found these questions: ‘Are they here yet?’/ ‘Have you done your homework yet?’

The Free Dictionary Online says the following, I quote:
. (usually used with a negative or interrogative ): they’re not home yet; is it teatime yet?.’

I don’t question your professionalism, but would you be so kind as to take a look at what I found? I’d be very grateful.

Marc

3 Likes

@Masme, this is a forum where we discuss many things and learn together. Your questions will not be construed as questions that question us. Be free!

Well, I used the word ‘usually’ (like an anticipatory bail :innocent:) to give an indication that it could also be used in other ways, say, as a conjunction but most widely it is used as an adverb.

What you suggested is also acceptable. It may be used in interrogative sentences both negative and positive. It can also appear as idiomatic like as yet, not yet etc. It assumes the meaning of ‘still’ in certain contexts.

2 Likes

Thank you, my dear friend.

2 Likes

By the way, where is our @Torsten? And what about @Alan? They haven’t turned up since Easter! I hope both of them are ‘hale and hearty’, to use an old expression!

2 Likes

Young children on a long car trip will constantly say “Are we there yet?”
This carry’s the idea that “I would have thought we’d be there by now” rather than just “Have we arrived?”

Your examples above would still be fine without the “yet”, but this emphasizes the current time aspect of your meaning.

“Have you done your homework?” - A simple question.
“Have you done your homework yet?” - Emphasizes the time passing.
“Haven’t you done your homework yet?” - Very critical since apparently it hasn’t been done.

As to your original question, my suggestion would be a combination of the examples.
“Excuse me, sir, (but) have you been able to find the time to correct my essay?”

2 Likes

I look at the forum frequently, but I’m busy helping all the people who arrived in Leipzig fleeing the war in Ukraine…

3 Likes

Okay, that is great, Torsten!

2 Likes

Hi Torsten,

Your being in solidarity with those in need is truly admirable! I’m very proud of you. And you know what they say: ‘A friend in need is a friend indeed.’

Marc

1 Like

Hi Arinker,

So, if I ask the second question: ‘Have you done your homework yet?’ the answer could be either ‘yes’ or ‘no’?
And once again, thank you very much for taking the time to read my posts.

2 Likes

Hi Anglophile,

Now, we know what Torsten is doing, but is it possible that Alan is still hunting Easter eggs? Just joking. :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, all three questions are the same and could be answered “yes” or “no”.
Of course, the most likely answer is “Not yet.”

2 Likes

Thanks Arinker.

2 Likes

Thanks again, Arinker.

2 Likes

Let’s hope that Alan will appear at the right moment.

2 Likes