Some people say that the price increase of fattening foods...

More and more people are becoming seriously overweight. Some people say that the price increase of fattening foods will solve this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Obesity has reached its highest peaks in the last decades, and this growing tendency will continue to develop further due to the excessive current consumption of fattening foods. It has been argued that an increment in the prices of high-fat foods might resolve this unhealthy trend. However, I think that by increasing the prices of those foods little might be altered, as unhealthy, low-cost food is always readily available at local grocery stores and healthful foods are becoming luxury goods these days.

Firstly, an adjustment to the costs of fatty foods will not cause the worse-off to restrict themselves from buying this type of meals. Those consumers on a low budget who frequently live in neighborhoods with few supermarkets, rely on corner stores and convenience marts for groceries where fatty foods and sodas are easily found. Moreover, processed foods do not need to be cooked, and in a few seconds, a full meal is on the table. Given an increment in food prices, these consumers will still pay more for its ready availability.

Secondly, fruits, vegetables and fish have turned in luxury goods completely out of reach of many people. For instance, in my neighborhood, there is an eye-catching, organic store, where only those with a high economic background are willing to buy their groceries. Despite the fact that we have always been told by doctors and scientists to consume a wide variety of organic foods, consumption of cheap food will only grow due to the fact that organic markets offer their products at unreasonable expensive prices.

In summary, an increment in prices of fattening foods will not change this ongoing tendency. Thus, it is clear that high-fat food consumption may become an even greater cultural mainstay with the middle class going for always ready, less expensive food and becoming more obese.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why do the Lascaux cave paintings probably not qualify as graffiti?

Hi, I thought this essay was excellent - only a few minor suggestions I could find to make. Very good vocabulary and very natural sounding. I would rate it a 5 out of 5.

Thank you Luschen! Thank you!