Some people prefer to spend time with one or two close friends. Others choose to

Topic : Some people prefer to spend time with one or two close friends. Others choose to spend time with a large number of friends. Compare the advantages of each choice. Which of these two ways of spending time do you prefer? Use specific reasons to support your answer.

A good friend is someone who will always be with you through your thick and thin. He always extends his hand to help us. All of us will have friends. Some of us prefer to have more friends around us. On the other hand, some may prefer to spend their time with few friends. In spite of this variation, everyone’s opinion towards friendship is common: friendship is immortal and a friend in need is a friend in deed.

Some people like to have a close relationship with one or two members. Although they want to smell the fragrance of beautiful friendship, privacy and quietness are also equally important for them. Having few friends enables to them build close and intimate relationship with their friends. They can meet their friends regularly. Because of the intimacy, they can easily share their intricate feelings, how personal they might be. They have a dependable shoulder to rely on in any difficult situation. At the same time, they can enjoy their privacy and quietness. They don’t get too many phone calls. No one will press your calling bell in odd hours.

On the other hand, fun and enjoyment become the spice of life for those people who have many friends. Their lives are always busy with parties and re-unions. Their proximity to more people helps them in better understanding of different customs, religions to which their friends belong to. Presence of more people brings out new and innovative ideas which will make their day more happy and cheerful. With many friends around them, their day will never become dull and gloomy. It will always be vibrant, jubilant and cheerful.

I would like to spend my time with few friends. I definitely want to enjoy the true essence of friendship by spending quality time with my close friends. At the same time I need privacy to concentrate on my personal life and need rest to rejuvenate myself for tomorrow. After all, friendship is important in our life but our life is not all about friendship.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from an arts class (2)

Hi, hopefully my corrections will be educational. Let me know if you disagree - you are getting to be a better writer than me! Do you already have these essays completed or do you write three per day?

Although I want to write three essays per day, sometimes I am too busy with other stuff to spend enough time. So I am trying my best to write three essays. I am planning to take TOEFL in the 3 rd or 4th week of May. I would like to complete all 180 odd essays given in ETS Toefl guide before my exam. To achieve that target, I have to wrtie 3 essays a day. So far, I have completed around 60 essays.

I am selecting two or three topics and writing essays . I dont have any written essays with me. This practice and your suggestions are building my confidence on my writing skills and organization of the essays and prsentation of my ideas. I am a better writer now than I was when I started writing my first essay, three or four weeks ago.

Although, my fluency , vocabulary and grammar have improved considerably, I think there is still a long way to go for me to achieve my target : getting atleast 4 out of 5 in writing section.:slight_smile:

One more reason why, I keep on writing is it helps me in faring well even in speaking section as well. In a toefl speaking section, more or less similar tasks will be given for us to speak on them. So by writing, I am in fact trying to gather as much information as possible so that I can talk about it fluently.

The best teacher is some one who not only corrects his student’s mistakes but also explains him how to rectify those mistakes. In that way you are one of the best teachers I ever had. You wont stop simply by correcting my mistakes. Instead , you will take all the pain to explain why am I wrong… and what is more suitable.

I wish I could become a better writer than you…:slight_smile: I am learning and improving myself. If ever I write a better essay than you, then that credit goes to you and other advicers.

I think, I am fortunate enough to meet you all through this forum.

Having [just a] few friends enables to [color=red]them build [a] close and intimate relationship with their friends{“relationship with [color=red]them” sounds better}.

Only reason why I have written " their friends" is to avoid a confusion with pronouns. ‘them’ is already used once in the same sentence and was refering to “those people who have just a few friend”. I thought that using ’ them ', this time refering to friends , again would make the reader confused. Can you please let me know your thoughts…

“Better understanding” : From the beginning , I am a bit skeptical about using this phrase. I saw a few instances where it was used to sound a warning.

Eg: you better understand it… It sounds as if I am going to loose something if I dont understand it …

So can you please let me know is it ok to use this phrase in the given conext of my passage?

My intention in writing that sentence with that phrase is : A person, with many friends, has a better chance to know more about different customs and religions to which his friends belong to .

Now that I reread the sentence I have to agree with you. I was trying to avoid saying friends so much in the sentence, but with two "them"s, the sentence is ambiguous. It would be nice to replace one of the friends with a synonym. English usually has at least a couple synonyms for every word, but I looked and there is nothing that really means the exact same thing as friend.

You are correct in how “you better understand” is interpreted. In this case, “help you to better understand” does not have the same connotation. The sentence means exactly what you wanted to say. Another way of saying it which is perhaps closer in wording to your original version would be " … gives them a better understanding of different customs …". I think either sentence would be fine.

thank you . Let me reiterate why you are the best.:slight_smile:

The best teacher is some one who not only corrects his student’s mistakes but also explains him how to rectify those mistakes. In that way you are one of the best teachers I ever had. You wont stop simply by correcting my mistakes. Instead , you will take all the pain to explain why am I wrong… and what is more suitable.