Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer

Some people might contend that the big city has many backwards, such as noise and a large number of people who come to the big city for work or school. Therefore, people cannot live a happy life there. However, the big city’s manufacturing is better than the small town. I feel this way for two reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.

To begin with, transportation is better in the big city than in the small town. Technically, transportation is always necessary for people who want to go to a certain place. Therefore, trains always get to the place on time and many people can get to their destiny at a precise time. On the other hand, sometimes small towns have a problem with time. To give my example, last year, I went to a friend’s house which is located in the country side, but it is a small town. When I got to the station where I had to change trains, time was delayed by about thirty minutes. People living in the small town think it is natural to delay trains. However, it is not allowed in the big cities to delay time.

Secondly, urban areas have a large number of educational facilities, such as libraries and cram schools. On the other hand, the lack of educational facilities is one of the biggest problems in the small town. In other words, it is a big wall between people living in the big city and the small town in terms of university entrance exams. For example, I have many university friends who come from the countryside or small towns. One day, they told me that they struggled with studying for entrance exams because they could not relay on private tutors or cram school teachers. Therefore, they had to study by themselves when they were high school students. To me, I was taught by a private tutor and it was easy to utilize educational facilities every day. When I heard of my friends’ episode, I could not believe it at first, but it is true the problem of education in small towns.

On a final note, the big cities have a large number of transportation and educational facilities that people can use easily and every day. However, those who live in small towns have been suffering from educational problems and it is an impediment when they study for university entrance exams. Therefore, I totally prefer living in the big city to a small town.

2 Likes

Some people might say that the big city has many disadvantages, such as noise and a large number of people coming to the big city for work or school. Therefore, people can’t live a happy life there. However, the production in the big city is better than that in the small city. There are two reasons for this, which I will explain in the following essay.

First of all, transportation is better in the big city than in the small town. Actually, transportation is always necessary for people who want to go to a certain place. That is why trains always arrive on time, and many people can reach their destination at a certain time. On the other hand, small cities sometimes have a problem with time. For example, last year I went to a friend’s house, which is in the countryside but is a small town. When I arrived at the train station where I had to change trains, the time was delayed by about thirty minutes. People in the small town think it is normal for trains to be late. However, in big cities, it is not allowed to extend the time.

Secondly, in urban areas, there are many educational facilities such as libraries and cram schools. On the other hand, the lack of educational facilities is one of the biggest problems in a small town. In other words, there is a big gap between people in big cities and small towns in terms of university entrance exams. For example, I have many friends in the university who are from the countryside or small towns. One day they told me that they had a hard time studying for the entrance exams because they couldn’t rely on private tutors or private tutors. Therefore, they had to study by themselves during their school days. I was taught by a private tutor, and it was easy to use educational facilities every day. When I heard about my friends’ episode, I couldn’t believe it at first, but the problem of education in small towns is true.

After all, there are a large number of transportation and educational facilities in big cities that people can easily use every day. However, those who live in small towns suffer from educational problems, and this is an obstacle when studying for university entrance exams. That is why I absolutely prefer living in a big city to living in a small town.

2 Likes

Thank you for correcting my essay, I have to study about paraphrase and collocation.
Anyway, I can learn a lot of things from your revising! Thank you!!

1 Like

Hi Kei, welcome to our forum. Would you like to tell us more about your goals and ambitions? What do you want to study and where?

I want to enroll in UCLA in two years. Therefore, I have to take SAT test and TOEFL.
My TOEFL score was 85. writing score was 21. Honestly I need to get max score because it is normal for American to get max point in TOEFL writing section.
I usually study from native speaker’s essay, but when it comes to writing essay by my self, it is difficult to use all expressions and vocabularies which leaned from native speaker’s essay.
But I think this way of studying is effective and need for me in the long run!!

2 Likes

Very interesting. So, what do you want to study and why have you chosen UCLA? By the way, you might want to read this:

1 Like

Thank you for your beneficial advice!! I totally agree what you said.
I want to study journalism.

1 Like

Some people think that a big city might have many disadvantages such as noise pollution and overcrowding. Therefore, people cannot live a happy life in such environment. However, I believe the advantages of living in a big city outweigh the disadvantages.
To begin with, transportation is better in a big city than in a small town. In this day and age, an adequate transport system is a must due to our hectic life. In my opinion, the best means of transport in a city is the train. Very often trains get to their destination on time and commuters are pretty satisfied by the service given. On the other hand, the transport systems in small cities leave a lot to be desired because the trips are not frequent and rarely arrive on time. For example, last year, I went to a friend’s house who lives on the outskirts of a small town. When I got to the station where I had to change trains, there was a delay of about thirty minutes. People living in small cities are not bothered by such inconveniences because they have adapted. However, such situations in big cities occur only once in a blue moon because the transport system is much more efficient
Secondly, urban areas have a large number of educational facilities, such as libraries and schools. On the contrary, small cities lack educational facilities, and this is one of their biggest problems. This can be a big hurdle for people living in small cities. For example, I have many university friends who lived in the countryside or small towns. One day, they explained to me how challenging it was for them to pass the entrance exams because they could not attend private lessons. They had no other option than to study by themselves when they were high school students. Luckily I was taught by a private tutor, and it was also easy to utilize educational facilities. When I first became aware of my friends’ issues, I could not believe it because, for me, it was something unheard of.
On a final note, big cities have various means of transportation and educational facilities that people can easily use. However, those who live in small towns have been facing educational challenges that hinder them from passing the university entrance exams. For the reasons mentioned above, I totally prefer living in a big city to a small town.

2 Likes

Hi Kai,

it is an interesting question. I grew up in a small City with just 38000 citizens and when I was a teenager I hated it. I always wanted in a big city like Berlin or Hamburg because I saw more opportunities there and it seemed more interesting.

Now I am 31 and live in a city with 250000 citizens, it still small but I think it’s perfect. We have a good public transit system, a good choice of leisure time activities/culture and it is just one hour to bigger cities like Leipzig or Dresden. Also you can be quickly in nature what becomes more and more important to me, then older I get.

I still love really big cities like Berlin but only for a short trip. It is exciting and nice to be there, but also exhausting. You wanna go to another part of the city quickly? You will need minimum 30 minutes, everywhere are always a lot of people, it is very loud and you can spend your money everywhere, that’s not good for me. :wink:

Where do you live Kai? In a big city or on the countryside?

Best regards,
Daryna

2 Likes