Some moral support would be nice, right now./ How do I not worry?

@Masme I also looked up the same word. I’ve never heard of it before. :thinking::+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Andrea. It does exist, but I wonder if it used frequently.

4 Likes

It is used, though not very frequently, in countries like India where people celebrate completion of 60 years of age (sexagenarians: 60-69), 70 years of age (septuagenarians: 70 - 79) , 80 years of age (octogenarians: 80 - 89), 90 years of age and even 100 years of age (centenarians: 100 or more).
It’s interesting, isn’t it?

3 Likes

I would imagine it’s not common to use. Perhaps, people will look at us strange if we had to use it. :rofl:

2 Likes

Very interesting indeed. :slight_smile: Thanks for giving us new vocabulary to learn! :hugs:

3 Likes

Hi Anglophile,

As Andrea says very interesting indeed. But are these words derived from ancient Greek? I mean twins, triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, sextuplets, octuplets…

Thanks for sharing this information with us.

4 Likes

I’m not sure of their origin. Since many of the English words have roots in Greek, Latin etc, they might have been derived from Greek as you suspect. But I think #Alan or #Torsten or #Andrea may be able to throw some light on the matter. Let’s wait.
(By the way, duplets rather than twins will sound better in your examples)

2 Likes

I’m not sure. Maybe Latin or Greek. :thinking:

Maths: Geometry has pentagons too.
Eg: Octagon, Nonagon

2 Likes

Thank you both for answering. I’m going to bed now, because I’m very exhausted as I have to be well- rested tomorrow, because my grandma’s funeral is in the afternoon at four.

2 Likes

Hi all of you,

My grandmother’s funeral was very beautifully arranged, exactly like she wanted it: brief, a short text and two her of favourite songs, ‘I Have a Dream’ from Abba, and ‘Vaarwel’, meaning farewel, from the Dutch singer and composer Stef Bos. Now, she rests peacefully, next to my mother in the same columbarium. My mother died in 2002, aged 49. I’ll keep missing them both, but your moral support has really lifted my heart. I’m very grateful to all of you.

Thank you!!!

3 Likes

@Masme. Marc, I’m glad that everything went well. I’m sure your grandmother would be proud of you! Such a lovely tribute to her. Keep strong and remember all the good memories. :hugs:

Take care, Andrea

2 Likes

Marc, thank you very much for sharing these moments with us and I agree with @Andrea, your grandmother obviously had a long and happy life with you as her grandson. If you feel like it at some point later you might want to relate some stories and memories about your grandmother.

2 Likes

@Masme. Marc, I was reminded of this song “Memories” from Maroon5. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Here’s a YouTube link:

4 Likes

Thank you both.

Yes, Torsten I will certainly share some memories, if not all, with all of you. Right now, I think, if I wrote a novel about her life it would sell a lot of copies. Ofcourse, respecting her, I will not do that. She didn’t like, as they say, bask in some sort of ‘glory’. Maria’s life, however, was far from happy, although she never became embittered and tried to help anyone who was in trouble, be it family or not.
My great-grandmother didn’t apprrove of her first boyfriend, Joel, who was an inland skippper. Granny ended her relationship with him and some time after that she fell in love with Robert, who was my grandfather’s best friend. He died during millitary drills in the Belgian Army in the late 1950s. After that she fell in love with my grandfather, Frans, with whom she had two children, Rachelle, my mother and Hilda, my aunt. Subsequently, Frans was shot in the head during a hunting accident in 1960 and died instantly. Granny was left to fend for herself and her two young daughters, who were respectively 7 and 6 years old when their father died. I was born in 1971, so I have never known my maternal grandfather Both girls missed their father a lot throughout their lives. They almost always mentioned his name in any conversation you had with them.
Fate was cruel again, when in 1985, after giving birth to my cousin, Steven, and suffering a psychological disorder for nearly three years, my aunt Hilda was reported missing on 26th May. One day later they found her body in a canal; she’d drowned herself. I remember this very well, because I was born 25th May 1971. That day same day 14 years later she gave me 25 Euro, or 1,000 Belgian francs as my birthday present… To be continued.

2 Likes

Thank you Andrea, I’ve just listened to the song and what ‘Maroon5’ sings relates, in a way, to my relationship with granny. At least, that’s how I interpreted it. I saved it. I think will listen to it every day, because he’s really a brilliant mind.

2 Likes

May her soul rest in peace as you cherish her memories!

2 Likes

Thank you Anglophile, you’re so kind. I really appreciate it.

2 Likes

Dead Marc, I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother. You’re not alone. Take care of yourself, and I’m sure your gramma will always look after you. :heart:

3 Likes

You’re welcome to our community, Laura.

2 Likes

Yes Laura, welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind word.

1 Like