Some moral support would be nice, right now./ How do I not worry?

Hi all of you,

I know that this is a language forum, but my grandmother who has dementia has been taken to hospital. I received a call from the hospital to inform me about it a little while ago. She’s 91 and has problems with her stomach and bladder and she also has a thrombus or thrombosis. The surgeon’s assistant told me I should not worry about her, because she had already had dinner and so far as he was aware of it she was rather fine. I know that one day I’m going to lose her, but since my mother died and I became estranged from my father, who also passed away last summer, I do worry. Please, some moral support would be welcome. Furthermore, united we stand, divided we fall, especially in times like these. The Belgian government has also decided that hospitals are not to allow visitors because of Covid-19. So I can’t go and see her and I haven’t seen her for over week. Because of the fact that my mother died at age 49 in 2002 and my father’s family deserted me too because I am gay, once again moral support is more than welcome. I have no family left, besides her. How do I not worry? Tell me.

Thank you very much.

6 Likes

Marc, I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult phase in your life. I understand that you are worried about losing your grandmother. You obviously have a very close connection to her because she is one of the few family members you have still left. It’s not easy to give you support in a such a challenging situation through the medium of our forum. Let me tell you that I have a lot of respect for you because you have the courage to open up and share such an intimate part of your life. This makes you very valuable human being and I would like to tell you that pretty much everyone reading this knows how hard it is to be afraid of losing a loved person. But your grandmother is still alive and even when she dies you don’t really lose her as she will always live on in your memories. And as for her possibly being the only family you have left, we are all part of a larger family as long as we remember that we are all human beings.

3 Likes

@Masme Marc, so sorry to hear about your grandmother going into hospital. I’m really hoping that she will get better soon. Just know that you are not alone. You have friends that care! You’re welcome to chat anytime! Thinking of you! Take care of yourself. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

3 Likes

Hello you two,

Thank you SO MUCH for your support, however, God or Nature decided differently. My grandmother passed away later this evening. I felt, since we were very close, that this was going to happen, but you always hope for the best.
Again thank you for your kind words. I will never forget this.

3 Likes

Marc, I’m very sorry to hear that your grandmother has passed away and you should know that you can reach out to us any time if you want to talk!

1 Like

Oh, Torsten, you’re so kind.

1 Like

Perhaps I’m a bit shocked but is ‘later this evening’ correct? I feel so drained.So much, that my granny’s passing has drained the colour from my alreay pallid face.

1 Like

I think ‘later this evening’ refers to a point in the immediate future.

1 Like

So, it should be ‘earlier this evening’?

1 Like

Yes, ‘earlier this evening’ is fine as it follows the pattern of ‘earlier this morning/month/year/summer, etc’

1 Like

@Masme Marc, I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I understand exactly how you feel. I wasn’t able to be with one of my grandmother’s too. She was also in her 90’s! I miss her dearly. Just remember she had a long life and I’m sure you shared many memories. Memories of her will keep you going! Lots of hugs for you!! Take it easy. :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing my grief. You’re so kind.

2 Likes

Hello Marc,
may I also offer you my deepest condolences for your loss especially in this sad, sad situation facing everybody nowadays with this raging, treacherous disease.
I hope you manage to feel better soon…!

2 Likes

Dear Masme

Departures are always sad. But we need to reconcile ourselves to the inevitable. Each one of us has to leave this world one day. Your grandma was able to leave us as a nonagenarian. She was lucky enough to be in this beautiful world for so long. You have every reason to be proud of it! But to miss her will be unbearable for you.
As I share your sorrow, I pray for her soul to rest in eternal pace. Please do not think that you are alone and do not become desperate. Keep going as hopefully as you can! We are with you.

3 Likes

Thanks Viviana for your kind words.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, Anglophile.

1 Like

Thank you Torsten, but yesterday it seemed that my mind blurred a bit.

1 Like

Hearty condolence for your Grand Mother Loss which cannot be replaced by anyone unless her sweet memories she had with you during her life. We should know to balance the happiness and joyness in the world, if we feel to treat them both as equal, we will not have such a feeling, when it is practical everyone cannot act like that. Be happy with your friends who can be with you always to share your feelings.

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words Shanthisethuraman.

1 Like

Hi Anglophile,

A nonagenarian. I’ve never heard of the word. But I’ve looked it up and it’s a person between 90 and 99 years old. Thanks for enlarging my vocabulary, you sweet, nice man. I really appreciate it.

3 Likes