Some grammar points

Dear friends,

I have some questions on grammar and I’d like to receive your opinions.

1/ Please read these sentences:
a/ She seems to think I should grateful to have a job at all.
b/ I need hardly tell you that you will be missed.
What are the meaning of “at all” and “need hardly”?

2/ Please read these sentences:
a/ When he was younger, he could run fast.
b/ She could speak 3 languages before she was 6.

When I say: The use of “could” indicates that the ability existed in the past but does not exist now. Is this statement right?
Right now, does he can run fast?, does she can still speak 3 languages or we can’t know about that.

3/ Please read this sentence:
This contest is sponsored by the US Institute of Peace, which is an independent institution created and funded by Congres.

What is the difference between “institute” va “institution” in this sentence?
What is the difference between “create” va “fund” in this sentence?

4/ What is the difference between “personal” and “staff”? “Staff” is a countable noun or an uncountable noun? Give me some examples. If “staff” is a countable noun, can I remove an article?

Many thanks
Van Khanh

1–

at all = of any kind
need hardly = almost do not need

2–

When I say: The use of “could” indicates that the ability existed in the past but does not exist now. Is this statement right? – No; its use does not tell us about the present condition/situation. Compare:

When he was younger, he could run fast, too.
When he was younger, he could run fast, however

3–

What is the difference between “institute” vs “institution” in the sentence?Institute is more commonly chosen as a part of the name of a specific institution, perhaps; there is no real difference in meaning.

What is the difference between “create” vs “fund” in the sentence? Create = found. Fund = finance

4–

What is the difference between “personnel” and “staff”? – Nothing significant.

“Staff” is a countable noun or an uncountable noun?– it is countable, but the plural is often the same as the singular (i.e no ‘-s’)

If “staff” is a countable noun, can I remove an article? – No, not normally, though I am sure that some creative member will come up with a way. Articles can be rendered unnecessary by demonstratives and possessives, of course.

Dear Mister Micawber,

Thank you very much for your replies.

Van Khanh