some examples of the term 'conscience money'

Hi,
Could you please give me some examples of the term ‘conscience money’?
I’ve searched in the BNC but found only 2 results. Then I tried Google, but most examples I could find are its definition from various dictionaries.

Many thanks,
Nessie.

The tax authorities refer to unidentified payments as ‘conscience money’ and say that people usually pay sums anonymously because they have been evading tax and feel guilty about it. A spokesperson for the Revenue said that conscience money payments are quite rare, and only happen a couple of times each year. (www.tribune.ie)

Ian Lucas: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer how much conscience money was received by the Exchequer in each financial year since 1979.

Mr. Andrew Smith: No central records are kept of conscience money payments to Government Departments. Since 1979 the annual amounts received by the Treasury itself have never exceeded £3,000, and the largest single payment has been £2,500 (in 1979). (hansard.millbanksystems.com)

A DARD spokesperson said: "It appears that this money had been wrongfully claimed by the individual at an unspecified date in the past for capital works and that the individual now wishes to return it. "Money returned in this way is known as ‘conscience money’ and will be returned to the public purse in the usual manner. (news.bbc.co.uk)

Therefore, Shaw presents the Christian faith as a device to keep the poor suppressed. This is because the Church has become part of the establishment, and has abandoned its true duty, which is to support a radical revolution against the existing capitalist order. After all, the Christian Church (just like the Salvation Army in the play) is financed by the rich who are allowed to pay their “conscience money” and get their absolution. As Undershaft states: “all religious organizations exist by selling themselves to the rich”. (/bookreviews.nabou.com)

Hi MM,

=> Who is the ‘individual’ mentioned in the sentence? and what is ‘capital works’?

Many thanks,
Nessie.