So I took the GRE today

Hi Suchi,

Even I haven’t done all of them, but I did a few. Should I post them now as it may disturb your preparation. Please confirm then I will post it so that you can give your suggestions.

Thanks,
Sugeni

Dakini,

Sorry to bother you again but I have a quick question about the verbal prep site you mentioned - you said that the questions on your actual gre appeared in the same order- you mean you actually saw many of those analogies and words on your test?!!!

also, any idea how prachi is getting access to this list? its doesn’t say on the website that the words are from the real gre’s or does it?

thanks again!

Hi Sugeni,

Good, you did the diagnostic … its okay if it didn’t go as well as you want. Now you can improve. DON’T PANIC. I didn’t do well on the diagnostic either - I got 590 Verbal 540 Quant my first try.

First, you need to take note of what scores you need so you can aim for them.

Second, now that you know where you are weak you can work on that. Note that in my experience, Quant is easiest to improve on, Verbal is much harder.

For the verbal, I wonder if you have seen my message on the yahoo groups re the analogies; the msg has “TO THOSE W/ VERBAL PROBLEM PLS READ”. My post should help you in this regard. I wrote out all my analogy answers by hand and don’t have time to type them up cos of the move but I can help you with specific ones when you need. Just post them up here, or on the yahoo group. My post there also gives you tips on antonyms and a little on Reading Comp.

Third, now you must practice practice practice. Do all the material you have at hand, and the important thing now is NOT to do those questions timed. Take your time w/ each question and treat it like a matter of life and death. If you don’t get it right away, keep trying until you are happy w/ the answer. This means you might not get through a lot during one day, but the results will be worth it. Trust me. For example, I was struggling with some analogies and some I figured out a couple of days later. You need to learn to anticipate how the examiners think, and when you do, you will do well! Oh, the same happened with a couple of math questions too =)

Be patient with yourself and know that practice makes perfect. How the examiners think may be completely different to what you have been taught at university so far. I had to learn a whole new way of reading and at first found the reading comprehension the hardest in the verbal.

I know the above is rather general, but if you tell me specifically what you find difficult I can help with suggestions. I know right now you must be quite stressed … like I was when I did my diagnostic … but its good to stress out a little I think, cos it will motivate you to work hard. But don’t stress to the extent you can’t do anything, cos you CAN do something about this. The amount of work you put into the GRE will get you the results you deserve. You just need to beat the exam and the examiners at their own game and I really believe after my own experience that this is doable.

One last thing, when are you going to do the GRE? The important thing is to allow yourself enough time to do it well. I delayed mine one month when I realized that I couldn’t get the score I needed. I studied for a little over 2 months. Let’s talk again when you’ve read this post! I have some errands to run today so I may be out for a couple of hours, but when I am home, I check my emails regularly and will respond to your new posts then =)

Good luck and be positive!

Hi Suchibansal, another beautiful day in Boston!

Well you know I asked Ms Prachi that same question - how she got it - but she didn’t really reply. I thought it was too good to be true, but I thought even if they didn’t appear, it would be good practice for me. I got - from what I remember, it was really so hazy after the exam - fustian:bombast (bridge = Y is a defining characteristic of X) on my exam. The antonyms I can’t remember too well, but it was either from her blog and from the Kaplan top 200 for sure (you have those flashcards, right?).

I think it would be safe to say that of the antonyms and analogies around 50-75% were from the list. That’s quite a lot, but I think the best thing about the blog is that you can get more practice in. Some are tricky, please see my post on the group website for my take on some difficult ones its the - SOME RECENT ANALOGIES thread … SUGENI please refer to this too for now

Gotta go out now, so speak soon! Hope this allays your concerns somewhat. Also, note that Ms Prachi updates regularly so check back often … she doesn’t change the date of the update at the top of the blog though, but when you scroll down you’ll see more questions added!

Thanks Dakini! I was just curious about her source but oh well, in any case you are right it does serve as good practice.

I will check on the forum to tally my answers with yours but, i am still waiting to get approval on the forum. hopefully, it will come through soon.

i am doing the kaplan flashcards – good to know that the words were on your test!

thank you again for all your help! and yes, enjoy another grt day in boston:))

Hi Dakini,

Thanks for providing moral support. However, As per the diagnostic exam I have problem in RC and SC. I think I need practice in both. I just checked your post on the blog. It is really helpful. Further, Can you please tell me from where I can get the Kaplan top 200 flashcard. I didn’t get them in the group.

Thanks,
Sugeni

Sugeni, pls check your private msgs. Have sent you sth!

Sugeni, pls check your email a/c. Sorry, I gotta go out now but I will send you the stuff after getting your reply this evening for sure. Don’t panic in the interim … I’ll send you stuff that I am sure will help you =)

Thanks a lot,
Sugeni

Hi,

I am posting the analogies. We can tally these with each other. Tell me where I am wrong so that I can improve that.
ANALOGIES

1. quatrain:stanza
    A part of Y is X
  2. bootless:futile
    Y is intensified version of X
  3. fustian:bombastic
    Synonyms
  4. infinitude:measure
    Maximum Y of sth is X
  5. cistern:liquid
    X is used to store Y
  6. lock:secure
    lock is used to keep things secure
  7. vivid:intensity
    X is defining chrs. of person with Y or Synonyms
  8. debase:status
    lower of Y is X
  9. glacier:ice
    mass of Y (which moves slowly) is X
  10. resonant:sound
    amplification of Y is X
  11. judge:laws
    X is a person who acts on the basis of Y
  12. unswerving:vacillate
    antonyms
  13. cajoling:reluctance
    antonyms
  14. slothful:assiduity
    antonyms
  15. fence: livestock
    behind the X, we will get Y
  16. reliable:fail
    X reduces the chances of Y
  17. frill:superfluity
    X is a kind of Y
  18. obsequious:toady
    Synonyms
  19. allay:relieve
    Synonyms
  20. exhaust:energy
    the loss of Y is called X
  21. dissembler:forthright
    Antonyms
  22. mirror:reflectivity
    function of X is to provide Y
  23. bolster:support
    Synonyms
  24. book:appendix
    supplementary material of X is Y
  25. still:movement
    Antonyms
  26. stolid:impassive
    Synonyms
  27. martinet:lenient
    Antonyms
  28. school:learn
    We go to X to get Y
  29. overture:introduction
    Synonyms
  30. futon:bed
    We use X to cover Y
  31. miscreant:wretched
    Synonyms
  32. epic:poem
    X is long & great Y
  33. saga:anecdote
    X is lengthy or long Y
  34. raucous:harsh
    Synonyms
  35. orchestra:musician
    Y is a member of X
  36. bumptious:assertive
    X is maximize form of Y
  37. daguerreotype:photograph
    X is an obsolete type of Y
  38. mirror:reflective
    purpose of X is to provide Y
  39. miscreant:criminal
    Synonyms or Y is maximize term of X
  40. anachronistic:time
    X is lack of Y
  41. fervor:zealot
    Synonyms
  42. terseness:superfluous
    Antonyms
  43. disinfectant:germ
    X is used to destroy the growth of X
  44. percipient:discernment
    Synonyms
  45. envelope:enclose
    X is used to enclose sth
  46. obliterate:unnecessary
    If sth is Y, we can perform X on that
  47. nimble:clumsiness
    Antonyms
  48. fluvial:river
    X is pertaining to Y
  49. soothe:calm
    Synonyms
  50. enfeeble:strength
    Antonyms
  51. lock:secure
    X is used to keep things Y
  52. sedulous:diligent
    X is of higher intensity than Y
  53. allay:relief
    Synonyms
  54. vault:valuables
    X is an enclosure to keep Y
  55. stature:tall
    One of the measures of X is Y
  56. toady: flatter
    Synonyms
  57. pique:assuage
    Antonyms
  58. piquant:insipid
    Antonyms
  59. dormant:vigor
    Antonyms
  60. reticent:garrulous
    Antonyms
  61. bumptious:assertive
    X is higher intensity of Y
  62. saga:narrative
    The function or quality of X is Y
  63. lucid:understand
    Synonyms
  64. abate:status
    X means to reduce Y
  65. firefly:insect
    X is a kind of Y
  66. brute:urbanity
    Antonyms
  67. car:chrome
    X is also made up of Y
  68. indolent:vivify
    Antonyms
  69. querulous:complain
    The one who is X always tend to Y

Thanks,
Sugeni

Hi plz see my take on some of the the analogies for now. There’s a lot, so I’ll do some of them.

1. quatrain:stanza
    A X is a type of Y

2. bootless:futile
    If sth is X, it will be Y

3. fustian:bombastic
    Y is a DC (defining characteristic) of X

4. infinitude:measure
    If sth is X, it cannot be Y

5. cistern:liquid
    X is used to store Y - agree

6. lock:secure
    lock is used to keep things secure - or “the purpose of X is to keep things Y”

7. vivid:intensity
    If sth is X it will have Y

8. debase:status
    if you are X, you will lose your Y

9. glacier:ice
    This one I had trouble with but I would say make it simpler (simplicity is KEY in the analogies else you will confuse yourself) and say perhaps X is a type of Y

10. resonant:sound
    amplification of Y is X - agree

11. judge:laws
    The job of X is to [decide] Y - there’s actually a lot of choices for the relationship btw a judge and the law and I think I would keep those in mind to see if there’s a bridge that fits in the answer choices

12. unswerving:vacillate
    I wouldn’t use “antonyms” as a bridge; remember, you need to make a sentence; that’s the most accurate way.
    My take; if someone is Y, they won’t be X

13. cajoling:reluctance
    This was another weird one. I thought maybe “X is sth negative one does if another person shows Y”

14. slothful:assiduity
    Again, make a sentence. If s’one is X, they won’t be Y.

15. fence: livestock
    The PURPOSE of X is to keep in/house Y.

16. reliable:fail
    Another strange one - I had “if s’one is X, they won’t Y you”

17. frill:superfluity
    X is a kind of Y - agree, but perhaps also “Y is a DC of X”

18. obsequious:toady
    X is a DC of Y

19. allay:relieve
    The PURPOSE of X is to Y

20. exhaust:energy
    If s’one is X, they will have no Y

21. dissembler:forthright
    Y is NOT a DC of a X

22. mirror:reflectivity
    function of X is to provide Y - agree

23. bolster:support
    X is a maximized version of Y (where Y is the neutral term)

24. book:appendix
    supplementary material of X is Y - agree; or “Y can be found at the end of a X”

25. still:movement
    If sth is X it will have no Y

26. stolid:impassive
    Synonyms - yes, but I would use “if s’one is X, they will be Y”

27. martinet:lenient
    Y is NOT a DC of a X

28. school:learn
    The purpose of going to X is to Y

29. overture:introduction
    X is a type of Y (here, remember that X is found in an opera)

30. futon:bed
    No, the correct one has to be “X is a TYPE of Y”

31. miscreant:wretched
    Y is a DC of X

32. epic:poem
    X is long & great TYPE OF Y

33. saga:anecdote
    No, they are opposite, actually. So … “A X will NOT be a Y”

34. raucous:harsh
    X is a maximized version of Y

35. orchestra:musician
    Y is a member of X; or perhaps “A X is made up of many Ys”

36. bumptious:assertive
    X is maximize form of Y

37. daguerreotype:photograph
    X is an obsolete type of Y

38. mirror:reflective
    purpose of X is to provide Y

39. miscreant:criminal
    Synonyms or Y is maximize term of X; this was another tricky one; I thought “Y is a DC of X” or “a X acts in a Y way”

40. anachronistic:time
    X is lack of Y - I thought “X is sth out of place in time” (pls see my vocab list)

41. fervor:zealot
    X is a DC of Y

42. terseness:superfluous
    If sth is X, it will not be Y

43. disinfectant:germ
    The PURPOSE of X is to destroy Y

44. percipient:discernment
    If s’one is X, they will display Y

45. envelope:enclose
    X is used to enclose sth - agree

46. obliterate:unnecessary
    If sth is Y, we can perform X on that - another weird one; yours make sense to me

47. nimble:clumsiness
    If s’one is X, they will not be Y

48. fluvial:river
    X is pertaining to Y; or perhaps “X is a DC of a Y”

49. soothe:calm
    X is max version of Y (where Y is the neutral term)

50. enfeeble:strength
    If s’one is X, they won’t have Y

51. lock:secure
    The PURPOSE X is used to keep things Y

52. sedulous:diligent
    X is of higher intensity than Y - agree

53. allay:relief
    see No 49

54. vault:valuables
    X is an enclosure to keep Y - agree

55. stature:tall
    I had “X is a type of Y”

56. toady: flatter
    Y is a DC of X

57. pique:assuage
    Y reduces X (a wierd one; pls see the thread in the group)

58. piquant:insipid
    If s’th is X, it won’t be Y

59. dormant:vigor
    if s’one is X, they won’t have Y

60. reticent:garrulous
    If s’one is X, they won’t be Y

61. bumptious:assertive
    X is higher intensity of Y or “Y is a DC of X”

62. saga:narrative
    No, X is a type of Y

63. lucid:understand
    If s’th is X, it can be easily Y

64. abate:status
    X means to reduce Y

65. firefly:insect
    X is a kind of Y

66. brute:urbanity
    Y is not a DC of a X

67. car:chrome
    X is also made up of Y - I’m not sure about this one

68. indolent:vivify
    If s’one is Y, they won’t be X.

69. querulous:complain
    The one who is X always tend to Y - agree

Sugeni, keep it simple; think about the type of antonym it is. After practice, you’ll see the patterns. Hopefully my take will help you somewhat. Are you also doing the questions in the ETS book? The blog is great, but you need to also learn how to match up the Question w/ the answer choices which can also be tricky cos some may look very alike.

Haha, I got carried away and did them all! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi Dakini,

Again, thanks a lot for your time.
However, I haven’t bought the ETS book yet. Can you please tell me whether ETS-10th edition has older version of exams like 38 questions , 30 minutes or it has newer version like 30 questions 30 minutes.

I am asking you because I already have 9th edition of ETS book and it has 38 question in verbal exam and its pattern is different than real exam.

Thanks,
Sugeni

Sugeni, the 10th Ed. has 38 questions. The pattern is the same. I don’t have the 9th, but I would imagine its very similar. Does it have tests from sth like 1987-92 in it? Are there 7 tests?

Yes, it has seven tests.

All are in this order
First 7 are sc, Next up to 16 are analogies and then RC and at the end it has antonyms.
If the 10th edition is similar to the 9th, then I think I don’t need to buy new book. However I was hoping the new edition will be according to the pattern. Anyway, Please confirm if it is similar.

Thanks,
Sugeni

yes, that is the same format but bear in mind that the real thing will not have such an order and it is possible to get 3 RCs (like I did); I have heard some test takers say that they got a lot of antonyms too. If you are comfortable w/ the 9th ed., then go ahead w/ that. Use those as practice. Practice is the most important thing.

All right,
Thanks a lot,
Sugeni

hello
i am taking the test in oct,started my preparation since a few days
i’ve been reading the posts by all three here…sugeni,dakini,and suchi…its grt to see Dakini being so helpful…thank u
i have a question,which yahoo forum are you all refering to?
secondly,isnt it important to finish learning the words first and then start taking the practice tests???
thank u

Hi poojavet,

Just stumbled across your msg; don’t know why I didn’t get a notification in my inbox? Anyways, for the yahoo group, please see DYNAMITE’s post; there is a link to a blog, very helpful, and then a link to the yahoo group.

I think you should learn as you go. There are so many words to learn, and some will be totally unexpected. For example, even 2 days before the test there were a couple I didn’t know! If you have a wordlist of around 200 words or so (like Kaplan, Barron’s) you can for sure study for a bit first and then attempt the questions. I guess it would just depend on your study style! Try different ways and see what works for you!

Take care and good luck!

hello dakini
thanks a lot for getting back so soon.am preparing from the barrons.i assumed that it was best to first finish the wordlist n the maths from there n then to attempt the tests.i am very bad at the quant section,have been going through all ur posts…very helpful…thank u
i found the post by dynamite,found both the link n the forum…thank u
there is another thing that i wanted to know…how did u prepare for the analytical writing?
take care