Sir vs sir - which is correct?

As you wish, Sir.

Should “Sir” be in lowercase?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Yes, lowercase.

As you wish, sir.

2 Likes

Torsten, I think it is more culture-specific and respect-oriented. In my country, it is always used as Sir like Dear Sir, Yes, Sir, As you say, Sir etc.

3 Likes

Hi, I noticed that some friends of the forum use “Sir” in highercase when it preceeds the name as " Sir Adam". May it is considered as part of the name. Is it right or wrong?

Thanks

2 Likes

When you say Sir Adam, the Sir here is a title. I don’t think it is part of the name’

3 Likes

When ‘Sir’ is part of a title, then it is capitalised, in the same way we write ‘Mr’, ‘Mrs’ etc.

‘I am pleased to announce that Sir David Attenborough will be coming to the event’.

3 Likes

The word ‘sir’ is usually written with a capital ‘s’ when used as a form of address in person to a man direct or as a title with a first name attached.

For example - a man walks into a tailor’s shop and is met by an assistant. The assistant says - How can I help you, Sir? The man replies - I want to buy a suit that has a bright red jacket and striped pink trousers. The assistant turns in panic to his manager for help and says referring to his customer - Can you help as sir here has an unusual request.

4 Likes

I’m reminded of the movie To Sir With Love in which the students use Sir as a name when referring to their teacher.

3 Likes

So, here the word (sir) is used as a pronoun, I think.

2 Likes