Silence

Hello Mr.Alan,
Thank you for the topic very much!
We say “Silence is a gold”

I heard a phrase “Shut up” in many American films.

I am very interested in question. Answer me, please, why we now say you instead of thy. How did it changed?
Thank you in advance.

houda
thank you “silent is golden” there is no thing better than silent

Dear Dr. Alan,

Words fail me to express your ability and committment in helping us learn a lot. It is just exciting.

Kind regards,

Kidanemariam

hello sir,
I really enjoyed reading your essay , it’s very interesting topic
thanks a lot

Dear Alan,

I heard of course your whispering voice. It was a very good introduction, it was very living. I wasn’t at home for a week, and my laptop wasn’t with me, so I carry only your printed newsletter with me, and I was reading several times and I tried to imagine what to reply. Lot of things came to my mind but now I am at a loss how to begin.

I understand every phrases or expressions. I became very familiar with them.

Once somebody -who was very near kin, and I was made sure of his liking towards me- told me “shut up! get out of here!”- and his tone indicated his anger and his disregard towards me. Believe me that I always knew where I made a mistake, but on this occasion I was totally innocent. So I couldn’t forget the grief what this expression caused me.

Of course today I got over it but your first paragraph called back in my memory this terrible day. He could have told me to be quiet or to keep quiet.

“Hold your tongue” -it could have been written by Shakespeare. Or perhaps he wrote it, didn’t he?
I imagine: “Pay attention now please” or “May I have your attention please?” or “Would you mind?” “Settle down now” can be said by a teacher to his students, can’t he?

“Order,order” or"Silence in court" I think my father heard these sentences in Hungarian because he used to be a lawyer or my grandfather used to tell these ones because he used to be a judge.

The people say I am very open, so I can’t say I keep myself to myself. I don’t know whether it is good or not, but this is my innate nature. However I can keep the other’s secrets “I can keep it under my hat, don’t spread around, don’t tell a soul” or briefly: “Keep it to myself” So my friends like to share their secrets with me.

In the grammar school my class-mates could keep mum/ clam up when our teacher asked them who made those doings. Everybody refused to reveal the others.

The information of well-known people’s situation are hushed up as often as not. Because they don’t want people to know about it. If a news is gagged this means that an order prevents an information from being publicly reported.

“You could here a pin drop” we say in Hungarian you can here the hum of the flies.
“Deathly hush” is several times when people are expecting something to happen. For example in the circus when the rope-dancer is walking on a drop.

Most effective words-than you say-silence(n), complete lack of noise;
to silence= to make somebody stop speaking or making noise.
“as silence as the grave” this sounds world by world in Hungarian.
An omnious silence- there is a poem in Hungarian in which there:" the omnious silence had been, Than used to be before the ills and the ills erupted…"

Silentium est aurum = Silence is gold. This proverb exists in Hungarian of course.

Silence occurred to me Lord Byron :When We Two Parted-the last verse of the poem:

In secret, we met-
In silence I grieve,
That thy heart could forget,
Thy spirit deceive.
If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I great thee?-
With silence and tears.

Regards.
Kati Svaby

this is really good easy thanks pls i need more easyn on my box

Dear Sir,
Great article…it contributes so much in enriching my vocabulary and knowledge. Nice quote says, Silence has power…Silence is powerful. But to ask anyone else to keep silent, we need to use polite expression. How about with the expression…“Keep your mouth?” Is it similar with “Hold your tongue?” Which one is better? Thank you for you attention and generosity…
Best regards, Pipiii

Dear Mr Alan,
There are so many quotes related to SILENCE…Some of them are so nice…and I love the most this one…“I love you in SILENCE, because in SILENCE there’s no rejection…”.

~~“The deepest rivers make least din, the silent soule doth most abound in care.”~~William Alexander

Silence is medication for sorrow…
Silence is more musical than any song…
Silence is the mother of truth…
Silence is the secret to sanity…
Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refuse…
Silence makes the real conversations between friends. Not the saying but the never needing to say is what counts…
The best answer to anger is silence…
Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself and know that everything in this life has a purpose.
Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary.
In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in an clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth…

Dear Sir professor Alan Sir (or something like that …)

Money makes silence around the world, it is an option to say “Shut up!” :o)

Hello,

Even something:

When I used to be a young teacher I wasn’t able to reduce the noisy class to silence. Unfortunately this isn’t taught in the college.

Kati Svaby

Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for the thought-provoking and informative piece on “silence”. But is it all the time that silence can be golden?
Well, I do not think the answer would be “yes”.
My mother would sometimes watch as I did nasty things or as I talked rudely, but she would one day draw my attention to that act and correct me.
Who knows if I would be ready to be corrected at the time I was been rude?
But I do really love the article, and as I am trying never to clout my cloth till May is out, I will enjoy every hour of silence with this article.

Thank you.

Dear Alan,
I am very sorry for stating the proverb in the last sentence of the message I sent yesterday wrongly.
I had wanted to state ‘Never cast a clout till May is out’, as you taught us some few months ago. This is the problem with me when I try to add new expressions and words to my vocabulary.
Any way the article about ‘May’ was quite excellent. I just read over.
Here in Ghana, specifically in Cape Coast, the April showers started late and one can see flowers blooming.
Thank you very much for your time and effort you spend on those articles.

Dear Mr. Alan,
Thanks for your topic, I really enjoyed it.
I took a note some expressions into my vocabulary.:slight_smile:
Sometimes I say " Are you with me?" to attract my pupils attention and keep selience at the lesson.

Best Regards
Ruzihon

Dear Sir,

I enjoyed reading your essay. I also learned a lot from it. I have to read it for the second time for better understanding. “Keep it under your hat” I consider myself a very good one when it comes to keeping it to myself. I learned that from life experience. Some things we have to keep it to ourselves.
Although, you know how they say, “The only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead."

Kind Regards,

kkebe