Should "that" be removed?

It is stated that “The beginning of the Latter Day of the Law will not be without inconspicuous benefit."

Should “that” be removed?

Thanks.

4 Likes

No, it shouldn’t, because it is part of the expression “it is stated that”.

2 Likes

To me it should be:

It is stated, “The beginning of the Latter Day of the Law will not be without inconspicuous benefit."
OR
It is stated that the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law will not be without inconspicuous benefit.

4 Likes

Hi Anglophile,

Your last sentence makes it clear that “that” should not necessarily be removed, by which you’ve proven my point.

3 Likes

In direct speech “that” should not be removed, but in indirect speech “that” should be retained, as can be seen in Anglophile’s reply.

3 Likes

That goes without saying. I simply answered Anglophile’s post, ok? By the way, I don’t see what direct and indirect speech have to do with this. Moreover, “it is stated that…” is an expression. You can always look it up in a dictionary.

2 Likes

It is stated, “The beginning of the Latter Day of the Law will not be without inconspicuous benefit."
OR
It is stated that the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law will not be without inconspicuous benefit.

Anglophile’s first reply is in direct or reported speech. His second reply is in indirect speech.

With direct speech “that” is not required, while in indirect or reported speech “that” is necessary.

3 Likes

I have already stated that that was very obvious!

2 Likes

Please note these terms: Direct/Quoted speech and Indirect/Reported speech. Each one is known by two names.

3 Likes

Quoted Speech, Reported Speech, and Quotation Marks for …

www.myenglishteacher.net › quotedspeechandreporteds…

The first way is called “ quoted speech .” Quoted speech is EXACTLY what the person said . …

The other way of repeating what a person says is called “ reported speech .” Reported speech is NOT EXACTLY what the person said. It is like a summary or paraphrase of what the speaker said.

In direct speech , we quote the exact words that a person said . We put quotation marks around their words and add a speech tag such as “he said” or “she asked” before or after the quote. For example:

“Are you free tonight?” she asked.
“I failed a test last week,” she said.
He asked, “Have you seen any good movies lately?”

3 Likes

Did you check whether this site is reliable? If it is…well, just have it your way. I’m getting a little bored with this, actually.

2 Likes

Yes, what I quoted is what I was taught at school.

2 Likes

Had I been able to check my secundary school for its reliability, I certainly wouldn’t have gone there. You see, I had a very bad English teacher, because most of the time I corrected his mistakes (see I’ve been studying English since was seven). However, I’ve checked the site and it’s a good one.

2 Likes

Fortunately, most of the teachers who taught me English had a good command of the subject. However, the teacher who taught me English when I was in primary 4 was not good enough. He made a few spelling mistakes.

Many thanks for checking the site!

3 Likes