should children take art and music classes?

Young school children(age 5-10) are required to study art and music in addition to math, language, science, history. Do you agree or disagree?

Some people believe that it is too early for children (age 5-10) to have the lessons of art and music, since they are too young to understand them. Whilst, others hold the idea that children should be provided with these classes, in order to broaden their views and enrich their knowledge. For me, I prefer the latter one, and the reasons below will strengthen my view.

Firstly, art and music are one of the most treasure assets in human history. It is better for children to have an idea about it as early as possible. This will be helpful to build up their interest about art, and lift up their tastes about beauty. It is true that some masterpieces are too sophisticated for children to understand. But it would be proper to introduce some easy ones, such as the Minuet of Mozart, the Sunrise of Monet, and etc. What we should do is simply guide them is to enjoy art—feel the happy move of notes and the beauty of color. This guiding of appreciating arts would be quite helpful to arouse children’s interest of them.

Secondly, children who are five to ten are at the age of fast learning. No matter what we teach them, they would grasp it quickly and easily. Remember when we learnt talking as a little boy? It just took several months for us to have the basic idea of the language, and we started talking soon after we understood the meaning of sounds. Conversely, it would cost far more time for an adult to learn a second language. Therefore, it is quite pity for children to lose the chance of learning art and music, since they may not be as good a learner as they were young.

Thirdly, compared with middle or high school students, young school children do not need to burden the heavy school work. Therefore, they would have more time to learn some art skills, such as playing the piano and painting. In that case, they are more likely to be good at them. For me as an example, I started learning piano when I was seven, and I work as a piano tutor now. If I did not started learning in the early age, I wouldn’t have had that much time to practice it. And it would be unlikely for me to earn my living as a tutor now.

To sum up, art and music are one of the glories of human history. It would be helpful to let children get in touch with it at an early age, so as to build up their tastes and enrich themselves. Moreover, little kids enjoy the talent of learning, and they have bunches of time to practice. As an adult, we should fully take advantage of that, in order to better educate children in an all-round way.

I’ve proofread it 5 times…Now I’m totally confused when to use it will be, and when to use it would be…OMG><
Would you please give a hint about it???

And I think I’ve used the structure of it is/would for toooo many times. It there any options to express the same meanings??

Thanks inadvance kitos!
Best regards!
Aili

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and his counselor

why this one was ignored…hmmm…
ahhh…Is that because I put this essay here soonly after I updated my old one???
Kitos…I was just replying you…I have reviewed the old one many times long before I sent the new one…

Young school children(age 5-10) are required to study art and music in addition to math, language, science, history. Do you agree or disagree?

Some people believe that it is far too early for children (aged between 5-10) to have lessons in art and music, since they are too young to really understand them, whilst others hold the idea that children should be provided with these classes, in order to broaden their views and enrich their knowledge. I prefer to choose the latter, and the reasons below will strengthen my view.

Firstly, art and music are one of the most treasured assets in human history. It is better for children to have an idea about them as early as possible. This will be helpful to build up their interest in art, and in lifting up their tastes about beauty. It is true that some masterpieces are too sophisticated for children to understand, but it would be beneficial to introduce them to some easy ones, such as the Minuet of Mozart, the Sunrise of Monet, etc,. What we should do is simply guide them in enjoying art—to enjoy the moving feelings that music promotes, and the beauty of colour. This guiding in their appreciating arts would be quite helpful in arousing children’s interest in them.

Secondly, children who are between the ages of five to ten are at the age of fast learning. No matter what we teach them, they would grasp it quickly and easily. Remember when we learnt how to talk as a little child? It only took several months for us to have the basic idea of the language, and we started talking soon after we understood the meaning of sounds. Conversely, it would take far more time for an adult to learn a second language. Therefore, it is quite a pity for children to lose the chance of learning about art and music, since they may not be as good a learner later as when they were young.

Thirdly, compared with middle or high school students, young school children do not have the burden of heavy school work. Therefore, they would have more time to learn some art skills, such as playing the piano or painting. In that case, they are more likely to become quite good at these subjects. As an example, I started learning piano when I was seven, and nowadays I work as a piano tutor. If I had not started learning at an early age, I wouldn’t have had that much time to practice, and it is most unlikely that I would be earning my living as a tutor today.

To sum up, art and music are one of the glories of human history. It would be helpful to let children get in touch with them at an early age, so as to build up their tastes and enable them to enrich themselves. Moreover, little children enjoy the challenge of learning, and they have lots of time to practice. As an adult, we should take full advantage of this, in order to better educate children in an all-round way.

I’ve proofread it 5 times…Now I’m totally confused when to use it will be, and when to use it would be…OMG><
Would you please give a hint about it???
There are far too many occasions when either might be used to give a clear understanding. Only experience in their usage will be acquired in your doing so.
“I will go with you.” — positive.
"I would go with you, IF — not so positive.

And I think I’ve used the structure of it is/would for toooo many times…No you haven’t.

Quite a good essay, but many changes were necessary.

Kitos. 8/10

Thanks for your help Kitos!!

But I am still confused with these sentences below.

1. This guiding in their appreciating arts would be quite helpful in arousing children’s interest of in them.
    The structure should be “be helpful in doing sth”??
    What about " be helpful to do sth"??Is that wrong??

2. I started learning piano when I was seven, and nowadays I work as a piano tutor [i]now/i.
    &and it is most unlikely that I would be earning my living as a tutor [i]now /itoday.
    Why “now” is wrong?? And what is the proper way to use it??

3. And I made many mistakes about using “and”&“but”
    egA:“It is true that some masterpieces are too sophisticated for children to understand, but it would be”

My former one is “It is true that some masterpieces are too sophisticated for children to understand. But it would be”

egB: If I had not started learning at an early age,I wouldn’t have had that much time to practice, and it is most unlikely that I would be earning my living as a tutor today.

The former one is: If I had not started learning at an early age,I wouldn’t have had that much time to practice. And it is most unlikely that I would be earning my living as a tutor today.

How could I know when to end the sentence??

Thanks inadvance kitos!!I am trying not to make the same mistake again!
Aili

1. This guiding in their appreciating arts would be quite helpful in arousing children’s interest in them.

This is the way in which I would write this sentence.

1. Why “now” is wrong?? And what is the proper way to use it??
    You have already stated that, “nowadays I am a piano tutor.” Therefore “now” is superfluous.

2. You should also try to avoid beginning a sentence with “and, but, because, also” and many others. You can usually precede them with a comma, and writing the first letter in small case of any of them, continue your text.

Hope that clarifies some of your problems.

thanks kitos! I get it!!:slight_smile: