She’s still reading the paper without her glasses

“Still reading the newspaper with no glasses. We would be sitting here and looking out the window, and she would be able to see the planes in the sky, and I’m like ‘Where?’,” Frazier said.

Is the comma in Where?’," necessary?

Thanks.

2 Likes

“She’s still reading the paper without her glasses. We were sitting here looking out the window, and she could see the planes in the sky, and I said, 'Where?”’ Frazier said.

1 Like

“She’s still reading the paper without her glasses. We were sitting here looking out the window, and she could see the planes in the sky, and I said, 'Where?” ’ Frazier said.

1. Can it be “looking out of the window”?

2. Can it be ‘Where?’ " ?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes, then it sounds more formal.

Probably.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen four punctuation marks in a row before.

As for the original text:

I would re-arrange it to simplify the punctuation and get away from saying “I said” and “Frazier said” right next to each other.

Frazier said, “She’s still reading the paper without her glasses. We were sitting here looking out the window, and she could see the planes in the sky, and I said, 'Where?’ “
or
Frazier told us about her eyesight.
“She’s still reading the paper without her glasses. We were sitting here looking out the window, and she could see the planes in the sky, and I said, 'Where?’ “

I think “out of the window” is too formal for this conversation.

2 Likes

When the reporting verb is placed at the end of the direct speech, no comma is placed before it.

2 Likes