She’s a bit ......... in the head when it comes to taking advice

She’s a bit ......... in the head when it comes to taking advice. (*) heavy (*) hot (*) thin (*) thick

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/1106,shes-a-bit-___-in-the-head-when-it-comes-to-taking-advice/
4 Likes

She’s a bit heavy in the head when it comes to taking advice. (by luck)

3 Likes

I’m afraid ‘heavy in the head’ is not correct. Please try again.

3 Likes

Sorry, but for me it`s an expression of very difficult undestanding. I thank for your help.

4 Likes

Complementing, the correct answer is THICK. Thanks again

4 Likes

Do you know what idioms are? If not, this might be useful:

I’m sure there are lots of idioms in Bulgarian too. ‘To be thick in the head’ is one of the many idioms we have in English. The opposite would be ‘to be quick on the uptake’. I’m sure you are not thick in the head, are you ;-)?

3 Likes

Yes Torsten,

Dutch also has a lot of idioms or (idiomen).

• ’Op de fles gaan’ means to go bankrupt. Literally translated: to go on the bottle. Ofcourse this doesn’t make any sense in English. However an equivalent is to go belly up.

We also have a lot of ‘germanismen’ (plural): words originated from German like ’autobaan/ Autobahn’, ’bemerking/Bemerkung’, ’keelkop/Kehlkopf’, just to name a few. However there’s no English equivalent for ‘germanisme’ (singular)

I’m going to buy a microphone, so I can teach you the right Dutch pronunciation. However, I speak Flemish Dutch, not Hollandic. The accents of both are different, however the Dutch and the Flemish understand each other perfectly.

3 Likes

Thanks Torsten,

Sorry for the last clumsy sentence, however, I’ve corrected it.

2 Likes

Hello, Sir Torsten.
In my language there are " This advice is heavy in the head" and " He has a thick brain"
We affected by our culture even when we study foreign languages. Also, we can sometimes feel that someone we appreciate is angry, but we can’t understand exactly, why? Really, it is a mystery.

3 Likes