She is too weak to walk, so I had to hold her and assist her.

1. The old lady is weak to walk by herself. So I decided to assist her in her walk by holding her.
  2. She is too weak to walk, so I had to hold her and assist her to walk.
  3. Excuse me Sir, are you done with your meal? Can I take your plate away?
  4. Are you fine with your water? Or do you need a refill?

Are the above sentences correct? Please advise.

1. The old lady is too weak to walk by herself, so I decided to assist her.
  2. She is too weak to walk, so I had to assist her.
  3. Excuse me, sir, are you done with your meal? Can I take your plate away? <-- ‘are you done’ is informal, ‘have you finished’ would be more appropriate if it is not an informal situation.
  4. Are you fine with your water? Or do you need a refill? <–your first sentence sounds extremely informal and I would avoid it as it sounds ambiguous (you appear to be asking whether the person is happy that they have water to drink). Your two separate sentences should be one sentence:
    Do you have enough water or would you like a refill?

Hi Bee,

Why the first clauses are in the present simple tense, while the second clauses are in the past ? Should they be

The old lady was too weak to walk by herself, so I decided to assist her.
Or
The old lady is too weak to walk by herself, so I decide to assist her.

Please advise ?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, St8762:

You have already received the answer to #1.

I am replying only because I thought that you would like to know something:

A few (VERY few) writing teachers insist that “so” should not be used as a coordinating conjunction, such as “and.” So they insist that it is an adverb.

Thus, some writing teachers would be very proud of you. Those few (VERY few) writing teachers would write it as:

The old lady is very weak; so I help her. (semicolon)
The old lady is very weak. So I help her. (period / full stop)

As I said, the moderator’s answer is what almost everyone uses today.

But I thought that you would be interested in the above information.

James

Your perception is acceptable. However, one could argue that ‘the lady is still weak’, in which case the tense may not matter.

As there is no further context, it’s not possible to decide which tense is most appropriate, so I have accepted whatever suggestion was made in the sentence. There are other tenses which would work equally well in the right contexts.