she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #557 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (195)”, question 10

“When she finds out that you deceived her she is going to be mad at you to the degree. Lying, in her opinion, is the worst breach of trust one could commit and she seldom gives anyone a second chance,” Lisa told Bob, her roommate’s boyfriend when he confided in her.

(a) final
(b) complete
(c) nth
(d) max

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #557 [color=blue]“English Slang Idioms (195)”, answer 10

“When she finds out that you deceived her she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree. Lying, in her opinion, is the worst breach of trust one could commit and she seldom gives anyone a second chance,” Lisa told Bob, her roommate’s boyfriend when he confided in her.

Correct answer: (c) nth

Your answer was: [color=red]incorrect
“When she finds out that you deceived her she is going to be mad at you to the final degree. Lying, in her opinion, is the worst breach of trust one could commit and she seldom gives anyone a second chance,” Lisa told Bob, her roommate’s boyfriend when he confided in her.
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hi Teachers,

I’ve found the meaning of the “nth degree” here. My question is about the very end “when he confided in her”. Isn’t it must be “when he confided to her”? (else I can’t bind the sense with the previous statement) Help me, please!

Thank you,
Vladimir.

You confide in someone, not confide to someone.
The correct preposition is ‘in’.

Oh, it looks like so called a Brazil soap opera or the classic English detective with tangled relationships where one deceives his girlfriend but confindes in his other female friend and maybe seeks an advice. It will not be a surprise for me if it turned out that the women are friends too. :slight_smile: (however, sometimes life is as described here)

Vladimir.