Share vs stock

Dear teachers,

Do you think share and stock have the same meaning? If not, [color=red]how to distinguish them? Are they interchangeable?

What is called the person who has shares?
What is called the person who has stocks?


In my opinion:

In the UK, stocks is generally applied to government stocks, shares to shares of commercial companies.In the USA, shares in corporations are called stocks, except that government stocks are called bonds. In practice, I think they’re interchangeable.

Van Khanh

Instead of “What is called the person . .” a more correct way to ask is:
“What do you call a person who . . ?”
“What is a person who . . . called?” or
“How do call a person who . . .”

Thanks Van, for the explanation about stocks and shares.


Dear Sir,

Please read:

Instead of “What is called the person . .” a more correct way to ask is:
“What do you call a person who . . ?”
“What is a person who . . . called?” or
“How do call a person who . . .” "

Could you tell me what the correct article is, the or a? (1)
(1) is correct in grammar?


If you are talking about a specific person: that person, use the. If it is some, any person use a

Native Hiberno English speaker

Stock is generally used as an uncountable noun. Share is countable. A share is a unit of stock. This means that a share of stock is something like a bottle of milk or a loaf of bread.

I own stock in Citigroup and Ford. I own almost 1,000 shares of Citigroup stock, and about 675 shares of Ford stock.

Sometimes you’ll hear stock used as a countable noun, with an article before it. “GE is a good stock to own if you’re getting ready for retirement.” In that case, it means not a share, but any number of shares in a specific company.

Very interesting, Jamie

Thank you

Dear teacher,

You wrote:

1/ A share is a [color=red]unit of stock.

Could you list me, besides share, another [color=red]unit of stock?

2/…in a specific company.

Do you think “in a specefic company” and “in a particular company” have the same meaning?Do you think “specific” and “particular” are interchangeable in your sentence?If not, how to distinguish them?


No, I can’t. A share is a unit of stock just as a slice is a unit of bread. Stock is divided into units, which are called shares. There is no other type of unit.

In this case, “specific” and “particular” mean the same thing.

Dear teachers,

Thanks teacher. How about your opinion about bond?

Bond is a unit of stock?

The person who has shares is called shareholder. Is there the words stockholder, bondholder?


Bonds are something completely different. A bond is a loan a person makes to a corporation or government. The corporation or government promises to pay the money back with interest. So, when you own a bond, it means that a company owes you money.

When you own a share of stock in a company, you actually own a piece of that company, and if any profits are distributed, you get a portion of them, because you are one of the owners. I receive several hundred dollars a year from Citigroup, because I am one of the many millions of Citigroup shareholders and those dollars are my portion of the profits.

When a company goes bankrupt, the court requires the bondholders to be paid first, and if there is any money left from the liquidation of the company, that money goes to the shareholders. (There usually isn’t much money left, though.)

Dear teacher,

I own stock in General Motors.

Am I stockholder? Is there the word stockholder?


Yes. Someone who owns stock in a company is a stockholder or a shareholder. (They are the same thing.)

You know, you could answer a lot of your own questions by using a dictionary. Here is a good one: