‘The subcontractor WILL complete the work within the time frame/schedule’

Can anybody explain this please…[/b]

Hello everybody,

What is the difference between the following sentences:

‘The subcontractor SHALL complete the work within the time frame/schedule’
‘The subcontractor WILL complete the work within the time frame/schedule’

Can anybody explain this please…

Hi Pradeepan,

The differences between the two modals ‘will’ and ‘shall’ are many but basically ‘shall’ is the stronger and more forceful. ‘Will’ is usually associated with ‘intending’ ‘wishing’ ‘wanting’ and so on and ‘shall’ has a sense of determination and also compulsion. When you say: I shall pass that examination even if it’s the last thing I do, you are really saying that nothing is going to stop you. ‘Shall’ is often used in the first person ‘I’ and ‘we’. When therefore we use ‘shall’ with second and third person ‘you’ ‘he’ ‘they’, we are telling this second or third person exactly what they must do and we are in a sense forcing them to do something. In your sentence ‘shall complete’ you are telling the contractor what must be done.

Alan

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much.

Regards,

I think:

“SHALL” use when you want someone do flow your orders.
“Will” use when you say normal.

Hello there,

will thanks for this good question i was confused about how to use both will and shall,

but i often use Shall while speaking

:slight_smile:

Dear Sir,

What is the correct one from following:

1. He ordered two copies of the novel.
  2. He ordered for two copies of the novel.

Thanks in advance.

Pradeep

Sentence 1 is correct.

He ordered for… is incorrect. You would need
He placed an order for two copies…

Now I learned that I cannot ‘ORDER FOR’ any copies, but I can ‘ORDER’ or ‘PLACE ORDERS FOR’ any number of copies.

Thank you very much.

Pradeep

I am very much confused in using the following words:

1. Alternate and Alternately
  2. Alternative and Alternatively

Can you please help me by explaining with some details like their correct usage.

Thanks in advance

Pradeep

“alternative” describes a different option that is available, or a different choice that can be made. For example, “The road is closed, so we must look for an alternative route.”

“alternate” describes a switching back and forth between two things in sequence. For example, “Even numbers alternate with odd numbers” (one is an odd number, then two is an even number, then three is an odd number, and so on).

As an adjective, “alternate” seems to be increasingly used to mean the same as “alternative”. In British English this is viewed as an error. I believe it may be more accepted in American English.

Thank you Dozy,

However, I think I am not clear about ‘‘As an adjective, “alternate” seems to be increasingly used to mean the same as “alternative”. In British English this is viewed as an error. I believe it may be more accepted in American English.’’

Can you please provide some more details/examples based on British English?

Best regards,

Pradeep

Dear Sir/Madam,

In addition to the above can you please tell me whether there is any difference between ‘unnecessary’ and ‘not necessary’.

Thanks is advance.

Pradeep

There is usually no difference.