Sentence: There's a wildcat money coming here. I have to stack my piece.

Hello! everybody,

I have looked up the meaning of the following sentences but failed to get a meaning:

[color=red]There’s a wildcat money coming here.I have to stack my piece.

Are you sure you wrote it correctly? I think the word “a” probably wasn’t in the original.

Can you give us some context and tell us where you got the sentence?

Thanks Jamie for your interest. But this sentence has come within a movie and I think I misspelled the word stack it is : Stake my piece

From a Google search for “wildcat money” and “stack my piece” (two phrases), the term “wildcat money” refers to the currency notes that banks in the US would print during parts of the 19th century (see answers.com/topic/wildcat-money). The banks would open up in remote areas, prompting the term “wildcat” banks (i.e., banks that would be easier for a wildcat to get to instead of a person). The money printed by the bank was often not worth much at all, but probably offered a source of speculation: one never knew whether this currency would be worth anything or not in the future. I would imagine that the term “wildcat money” could also be used to signify any kind of high-risk gambling or speculative venture.

Meanwhile “stack my piece” is a gambling phrase to indicate that you intend to put up some of your own money to enter into a gamble.

Put together, it sounds like the person was suggesting that they heard of a speculative or risky gamble that was coming to town and that they wanted to be a part of it.

Was this phrase used in a Western? (Movie).

Cheers.

Whoops, I saw a reply: “stake my piece” instead of “stack my piece”. That makes more sense. “Stake my piece” is to make a claim to my share of something. In this case, it sounds like it’s to stake a claim in the “wildcat money” that’s coming to town.

Cheers.

Thank You K8t ! I do appreciate your work.That was a big effort.How can I reward you?
cheers

The phrase was used in an American Movie Called : Young Guns

The exact quote appears to be this (from Young Guns II):

There’s wildcat money coming in here. I got to stake my piece while I still got a fair enough name.”

“Wildcat money” may be a reference to the fact that people coming to the area in search of oil or ore. The speaker may want to establish himself in business (“stake my piece”) in the town early in order to take advantage of the influx of people (and their money) who are looking for drilling or mining wealth.

Yes, this is most likely it. Even today they use the term “wildcat drillers” for small, independent, largely self-financed oil drillers. So “wildcat money” would mean people who are coming in to finance wildcat drilling.

Thanks Amy and Jamie.You are really helpful
Ayman