Sentence: Now don't forget that on Monday you fly to Denver and from there you...

Hi,
Please have a look at this sentence:

Now don’t forget that on Monday you fly to Denver and from there you have to go on to Houston

1. Is the use of present tense here OK? I think it is because this is a plan for the future. However I suppose we can also use future tense. What do you think?
  2. What about the use of “go on to Houston” here? Is it all right or must we say “you have to go on to travel to Houston”?

Many thanks
Nessie.

Hi Nessie

I don’t get this very well, Amy.
First of all, the phrase “go on to” has no meaning of “continue to go to” (Here is what I found for “go on” in the OALD:

GO ON:

1. when a performer goes on, they begin their performance
  2. (in sport) to join a team as a SUBSTITUTE during a game
  3. when a light, the electricity, etc. goes on, it starts to work
  4. (of time) to pass
  5. (usually be going on) to happen
  6. if a situation goes on, it continues without changing
  7. to continue speaking, after a short pause
  8. used to encourage sb to do sth: Go on! Have another drink!

Besides, even if “go on to Houston” is correct in this sentence, I still don’t understand why “go on to travel to Houston” is incorrect. :roll: :roll:

Many thanks
Nessie

“go on to Houston” is not a use of a phrasal verb like “go on.” It’s go [on to Houson].

Then you go to Houston.
Then you continue on to Houston.
Then you go on to Houston. – This one is like “continue on,” and emphasizes that the travel is a continuation of what has started.

Thanks a lot, Barb :slight_smile:
Now I understand “go on to Houston” is right, but I still wonder about “go on to travel to Houston” (It suggests another meaning, of course, but I can’t see why it’s incorrect.)

By the way, how about the use of “on Monday you will fly to…”?
Is it really unacceptable?
And what do we call that use of tense in “on Monday you will fly to…” if not “future tense”?

Many thanks
Nessie