Sentence: Is there a coffee machine in this room, isn't it?

Hello,

there is another question I have:

Is the following correct English ? :

“Is there a coffee machine in this room, isn’t it ?”

Should you not say :

“There is a coffee machine in this room, isn’t it ?”

Thanks,

Susan

It’s not standard English, but it might be heard in certain parts of youthful Britain.

Again, not standard.

Try:"[color=blue]There is a coffee machine in this room, isn’t [color=blue]there?

Was that an effort to stave off any comment from ‘Grandpa Alan’, Molly? And are you sure you weren’t thinking of “innit”? :lol: :wink:

Hi Susan
You should not use either one of your sentences in the US. They don’t sound at all idiomatic or even like slang to me.

Use these standard versions instead:
“Is there a coffee machine in this room?”
“There is a coffee machine in this room, isn’t there?”

“Innit” is the weak form. 8)

Can you be more precise? Which parts of youthful Britain use isn’t it and/or innit this way?

The less prescriptive parts. :lol: Really and originally, for innit, in the chav/townie/pikey parts, even though now, it’s spreading beyond those borders. In such parts “isn’t it” can be heard as either a kind of hypercorrection or as a dig a the prescriptivist.

1. ??Is there a coffee machine in this room, isn’t it?

I wouldn’t expect to hear “isn’t it” (or “innit”) after a question with that form, in “youthful” or any other kind of BrE.

The tag could follow a question in the form of a statement, e.g.

1. This is the room with the coffee machine, isn’t it?

Or a plain statement, for emphasis, e.g.

1. “The milk’s gone off again.” “Well, it’s the heat, isn’t it.”

When you say “chav/townie/pikey parts”, which areas do you have in mind?

MrP

How do you know that?

Presumably, “chav/townie/pikey” are words used to describe certain types of youthful Brits. Do “chav/townie/pikey” people use this hypercorrection often? How many times per mill?

How many (per mill.) make this hypercorrection for this reason? How did you come by this knowledge? Native speaker intuition?

You can’t be everywhere all the time, now can you?

I think, from recent posts, most of us know that, Mr P.

Do Pikey’s have an area?

From living in Britain and having young people as patients.

You’d have to check out the chav/townie/pikey corpora, if they exist.

That was the point of my question. You seem to think they do.

Actually, it seems to have been taken from the third (and slightly inaccurate) entry for “innit” on the Urban Dictionary website:

Cf.

MrP

Do Pikey’s have an area?

That was the point of my question. You seem to think they do.

Pikey youth are a part of the group of people that one could call youthful Britain. OK?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Again with your garden-path approach to stating your viewpoint. If you haven’t heard the tag used as above, is it a case of your limited, indirect experience with British youth-culture, or is it that you want to state that the tag used as above does not exist in British English? Make up your mind, but do it with cojones, please.

The item on the webpage is dated Dec. 2004; so it would seem to have priority.

As I said before, I would not expect to hear this structure:

1. Is there an X, isn’t it?

But I would expect to hear “isn’t it”/“innit” after a statement, or a question in the form of a statement.

Have a pleasant evening, old chap.

MrP

I’m sure there are many things about English usage that you would find quite surprising .

Could you answer one thing for me? When a person has, many times, asked you not to call him/her a certain name, why would you want to continue doing so?