Sentence: For how long have you been eating the meal.

Hi,

I’m gonna write few sentences, please let me know,

Which one is correct ? If both are correct then which one is more prevalent

1. For how long have you been eating the meal

2. Since when have you been eating the meal

3. I’ve n’t been taking tea since my childhood

4. I don’t take tea since my childhood

5. I’m gonna give you my pen but what will I get in lieu of THIS

6. I’m gonna give you my pen but what will I get in lieu of THAT

Regards

For the third one I think the second sentence is correct. I mean I’m gonna give you my pen but what will I get in lieu of THAT’ . but I prefer ‘I’m gonna give you my pen but what will I get instead of THAT’.
These are my personal opinions.

Thanks and regards

In answer to question 3…

I don’t think it would be normal for a native English speaker to use either sentence.
If you want to speak and write good English, I don’t recommend ‘I’m gonna’.
Use "I’m going to ’ instead. "Gonna’ is acceptable in some places ( like a pub) but be aware that it would be rather strange to hear the expression ‘’ in lieu of ’ coming out of the mouth of the same speaker !

"In lieu of " is usually reserved for more formal occasions …

He gave money to charity in lieu of sending flowers to Tom’s funeral.
James accepted a lump sum in lieu of any future claims.

In fact, I’d say " I’m going to give you my pen but what will I get in exchange ( for this ) ? " or " I’m going to give you my pen but what will I get in return ( for this ) ? ".
The words in brackets are not needed because the sentence is perfectly clear without them .

However, if the object of this exercise is to work on ’ this’ and ‘that’ , then I’d go for ‘of this’. Add the word ‘pen’ to the end of the sentences …

3a. I’m gonna give you my pen but what will I get in lieu of THIS pen ?
It’s obvious that it is the same pen that he has already mentioned.

3b. I’m gonna give you my pen but what will I get in lieu of THAT pen ?
This sounds more like another pen, situated somewhere else, and confuses the meaning.

To my native English ear, 3a sounds better :-))

Hollandhaggis and Mixmixi I’m really thankful to you for answering

Hollandhaggis I really respect of your saying
I’m afraid as far as I know in American english use of gonna is very much prevalent, most of the Americans keep saying this and in movies often we listen this as well.
So I thought I had better to keep saying in my day to day life. Am I right ?

Is it right: I’ll work for you in lieu of this money (now I used it by keeping formal situation in mind )

I say thanks to GOD and you that I come across the correct usage of “In lieu of” and you gave me the examples as well that How do you (native speaker) speak it :slight_smile: that will be an asset for me.

Actually the school where I learnt, they taught me the same sentence(written above) and teacher was claiming that he keeps going to US.

Earlier also I came to know few points which was taught absolutely wrong (the feel like expression:-
they taught in the class

I am feeling like eating mangoes

whereas correct way is :

I feel like eating mangoes)

I got it!

Yesterday I was revising from my notebook and the exact sentence was

and It also striked to my mind that it it should be THIS rather than THAT whereas in notebook it was writter THAT Because that means(that pen…pointing to another one) and this means this one…the current one.

So I thought I had better to confirm it.

Hollandhaggis If I wrote anything wrong grammatically please do let me know :slight_smile:

Hello MyEfforts

Thanks for your follow-up and I am happy to have been of some help :slight_smile: .

Yes, I think that 'gonna ’ is something you’ll regularly come across ( and use !) and it has certainly migrated from US English into UK English .
Likewise ’ innit ? ’ has escaped from its native London and is rampaging across the UK !
In fact , I heard recently that ‘innit’ has mutated from a negative tag ending to sentences like " It’s a nice car, innit ? " ( used to be " isn’t it ? " ) and can now also be found replacing doesn’t it / hasn’t she / won’t we / etc.
I think that "He’s a rich man, innit ? " sounds very odd but apparently the expression is very rarely used in written English … yet !

I’ll see if I can answer your first two ( original ) questions soon but meantime here is another common and correct use of ’ in lieu of '.
"When he lost his job he was given a month’s wages in lieu of notice. "

One more thing… although the word ’ lieu ’ is the French word for ‘place’ , in UK English it is pronounced ‘loo’. I don’t know about US English… HH.