Sentence correction: Last sunday All my friends congregated at the party hall...

HI ,

I said to my friend : " last sunday All my friends congregated at the party hall and discussed about our college days"

Could you please inform me any grammar mistakes that i have made in the above sentences?

Regards
Pavan

Hi,

Some suggestions:

Last Sunday all my friends congregated at the party (held at the)hall and (discussed) talked about our college days (discussed our college days)

Remember the first person singular pronoun should be a capital letter I

Alan

HI Alan,

You mean to say instead of “congregated” we have to use “held” in the below sentence

Last Sunday all my friends congregated at the party (held at the)hall and (discussed) talked about our college days (discussed our college days)

Could you give me explanation what is the difference in meaning “held” and “congregate” in the above sentence?

Regards
Pavan

Hi,

No, ‘congregated’ is all right. I wanted to say that: ‘the party was held at the hall’ because ‘party hall’ sounded unusual.

Alan

HI Alan,

Could you please rewrite the sentence which i had sent the previous Message

because if i write “the part was held at the hall” after congregated it doesn’t look good .

and I am writing the sentence below this line

"Last Sunday all my friends congregated at the party (held at the)hall and (discussed) talked about our college days (discussed our college days) "

Regards
Pavan

Hi Pavan,

Let’s just say:

“Last Sunday all my friends congregated at the party, which was held at the hall and talked about our college days (discussed our college days)”.

Al I was trying to do was find an alternative for ‘party hall’ but I don’t really want to make a big issue about it.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your response

Sorry , I didn’t understand properly , it is my mistake

Regards
Pavan

“last sunday All my friends congregated at the party hall and discussed about our college days”

Last Sunday my friends gathered at the party-hall and talked about our college days."

‘L’ to be made capital.
Sunday - The first letters of the names of days and months are normally written with capital letters.
All my frtiends- Can you say for sure?
Party-hall - to refer to the place where you usually attend or hlod parties, a well known place to all of you.
Talking about - is more casual in nature than discussing. The nature of the suject matter indicates ‘talk’ rather than ‘discuss.’
Best of luck,
nanucbe

Sure – as long as the T is edited out. :wink:

You can use talk about or discuss, Pavan. You cannot say ‘discuss about’. I agree that ‘talk about’ fits your context better. ‘Discuss’ would sound too formal or serious.