Sentence checking

Hi,

Could you check the following sentence, please?

This value ought to begin with a letter and must not exceed ten characters in length

Thanks!

[size=150][color=red]Période![/size]
The sentence needs a [color=red]period at the end.
Is the “in length” necessary?

rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4715.txt
The “isub” parameter [color=blue]value MUST NOT exceed 19 characters.

docs.hp.com/en/T1428-90071/ch17s03.html
As the maximum length of a fast re-auth NAI cannot exceed 253 characters, and because the length of the fast re-auth user name is 10 characters, the Fast-Reauth-Realm [color=blue]value must not exceed 242 characters.

documentation.softwareag.com/nat … o-conf.htm
The specified [color=blue]value must not exceed 8 characters, otherwise it is truncated.

Tort - The sentence (with the addition of a full stop) is correct.

Tofu - Although ‘in length’ isn’t necessary, where this sentence is used it usually takes the form written by Tort.

I see,
I actually added “in length” for good measure, it serves as padding. I don’t like being curt =)
Thanks!

Thank you, B.

Hi Everybody !

I am about to advance level English language learner -is this correct to say this way ? what is your comments ,pls.

You’re about to advance you English level.

Hi Everybody !

I am about to advance level English language learner -is this correct to say this way ? what is your comments ,pls.

I think you intend to say “I am an advanced English learner.”

“About to” should be followed by a verb; otherwise, it does not make sense. “Advance” is not a verb in your sentence. You are not about to do anything.

It’s possible that you instead intend to say “I am about to become an advanced English learner.”

[size=150]What about “I’m [color=red]almost an advanced English learner” and “I’m [color=red]nearly an advanced English learner”?[/size]

Hi Mr. Mordant !
Thank you for clarify me actual meaning .

Would you pls. lend your ear at this-

responses that uses correct corresponding verb tense -

Did you see the cinema last night ?

1.No ,because by the time I got there all the tickets had already been sold
2.Yes, and it was one of the best cinema I had ever seen .
3.Yes , but my seat was behind a pole so I could not barely watch anything.
4.No,but I am hope to see it tonight.
another one :

Will you be going to the university picnic this year ?
1.Yes , I will have always gone every year.
2.No, unfortunately I did not have time this year.
3.Yes. and I plan on playing,fishing and eating all day
4, I might go if I had known about it sooner.

In AmEng. vs BriEng , is there be any different answer ?

Pls. let me know if you can.
jalalquazi

You don’t go to see a cinema unless you’re standing outside looking at a place that shows films – a cinema. You go to one to see a film, or “cinema” refers to “film” itself as an art form.

1. You need a period. The tense is fine. I assume this is dialogue and will avoid insisting on complete sentences.

2. You need the present perfect, not the past perfect, unless you’ve already seen a movie or movies that stopped that one from being one of the best you have ever seen. The present perfect can refer to action that began in the past and continues, whereas the past perfect refers only to action that is finished.

3.Yes, but my seat was behind a pole, so I could barely watch anything.
You need the comma before “so”; otherwise, it looks like the abridged form of the subordinating conjunction “so that.” You want the use that is synonymous with “therefore.” “Not barely” is a double negative. To barely be able to watch means you had visual difficulty. Logically, we can then conclude that “not barely” means you had at least a moderately good view, which is untrue. Retaining “not,” replace “barely” with “slightly.” The error becomes glaring.

4.No, but I hope to see it tonight.
“Am” takes the position of an auxiliary verb here, though it appears before a finite verb, which cannot happen. “Be” forms progressive tenses and is paired with the present participle. I am hoping. “I hope” is fine, however, and more formal.

another one :

Will you be going to the university picnic this year?

1. a) Yes, I will go.
    b) Yes, I have always gone.
    c) Yes, I have gone every year.

“Will have gone” is the future perfect. It refers to action that will be complete by some specified time. This doesn’t suit your intentions.

A: I will buy you some food on Thursday to take to the university picnic.
B: The university picnic is Tuesday. I will have already gone by the time you buy it.

You cannot have both “every year” and “always” unless you change the meaning of this sentence to something rather rare.

A: I know you went to the picnic before, but it wasn’t until recent years that you started going every time.
B: That’s not true. I have always gone every year.

1. No, unfortunately I do not have time this year.

The event is still ahead of you. You still don’t have time. When it is over, you can say you didn’t have time.

1. Yes, and I plan on playing, fishing and eating all day.

2. No, I might have gone if I had known about it sooner.

“I might go” refers to present possibility. It has more or less the same meaning as “may,” but it’s vaguely more tentative. Since your absence is a foregone conclusion, you are not speculating about what might allow you to attend. You are reflecting on what could have allowed you to attend.

These answers would be the same in American and British English.