Scientists have proof/proven that photovoltaic cells convert sunlight into energy

“Scientists have proof/proven that photovoltaic cells convert sunlight into energy.”
Are both proof and proven correct in this sentence ?

“Scientists have proofed that photovoltaic cells convert sunlight into energy.”

Duet062010 : I’d suggest you gather knowledge first before you give a reply !

Yes, I know I have a lack of knowledge to answer of a question. But I think my above sentence is correct. But your perspective and my perspective are not same. I misunderstood yours. I apologize for that.

By the way, If I reply wrong then some one will make a correction. This is the rule,I think.

Both are correct, but the grammatical structure is different.

“Scientists have proof that…” – “proof” is a noun; “have” is the main verb (meaning “possess”)
“Scientists have proven that…” – “have proven” is the present perfect tense of the verb “prove”

The past participle of “prove” can be “proven” or “proved”, so you can also say “Scientists have proved that…”. I would guess that “proved” is more common (at least in BrE).

“proofed”, suggested above, is incorrect. “proofed” is the past participle of the uncommon verb “proof”, not of “prove”.

Dozy:
it is wrong due to uncommon verb?

The verb “proof” has several meanings, but none of them make sense in this sentence:

oxforddictionaries.com/definition/proof?view=uk
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proof

I have dictionary: Name: Oxford advanced learner’s Dictionary(eighth edition)

Here “proof something” means to produce a test copy of a piece of printed works so that mistakes can be corrected.

Exactly, in this meaning doesn’t make any sense in the given context. That’s why ‘proofed’ is wrong as Dozy has already explained.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: An overground pipe[YSaerTTEW443543]

“Scientists have proofed a document that photovoltaic cells convert sunlight into energy.”

1. Dose the above sentence make any sense now?
  2. If not then can I get an example where “proofed” will be used as a past participle(not as a adjective) of principal verb proof.

No Duet, your sentence is wrong. I don’t think ‘proofed’ is used a participle at all. ‘proofed’ is used very rarely so I suggest you don’t bother about it and concentrate on more frequently used words.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The oil rig[YSaerTTEW443543]

This is theoretically possible, but it’s really not something anyone would ever be likely to say. I think the only time I might use “proof” as a verb in real life is in the sense “proofread”. For example, “I’ve proofed all these letters…” (meaning I’ve checked them all for errors and typos).