School uniforms? Yes or No?

Would you mind helping me correct the essay about the topic below? Thank you very much.

Topic: Some high schools require all students to wear school uniforms. Other high schools permit students to decide what to wear to school. Which of these two school policies do you think is better? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

There has been a heated debate concerning the school uniforms of high schools. In fact, there is a growing sentiment that puts more emphasis on the importance of requiring all students to wear uniforms. At the same time, there is a solid body of opinion that dislikes and says that high schools should permit students to decide what to wear to school. In my opinion, among these two school policies, I concur with the former for three primary reasons.

First of all, demonstrating the uniformity of the school is the first benefit that we can see from wearing a school uniform. On each uniform shirt there will be a logo of the school, information about the course to help everyone know the most basic information of a student. School uniforms will help students be more conscious and disciplined. Wearing uniforms to school will be a beauty for the school, for the class and will make students love their school and their class more. The reason still remains an epitome of the argument set forth therein.

In the second place, the importance of requiring all students to wear uniforms is to help students become equal. Equality in the school environment is a matter of receiving the attention of many teachers and parents. Currently, many families who have the conditions for their children to dress in trendy clothes have accidentally made people in more difficult situations feel self-conscious about the clothes they are wearing. And this is also the reason for the gap, students are divided, the school environment is not sociable and many other problems. However, this is completely resolved when students wear uniforms to class, there will be no discrimination will be shown, the school environment will become much more friendly and sociable.

Thirdly, the school uniforms save the cost of buying clothes to school. Wearing a uniform only costs the initial purchase. Moreover, every day of school, students will not have to wonder what to wear today, how to match it. From there, it will save some time choosing each time you go to school, saving you a lot of costs for clothes. Wearing a school uniform will help save some money and that money parents can invest in their children’s education.

To sum up, I support the idea that high schools should require all students to wear uniforms. It demonstrate the uniformity of the school, helps students become equal and also save the cost of buying clothes to school.

3 Likes

I would say: Which of these two school policies do you think is the better?
When you compare two things usually the comparative is used with ‘the’, however the superlative is becoming more common in these cases. Yet, I’d stick to the comparative.

3 Likes

Use ‘in’ or ‘at’ when you talk about buildings.

2 Likes
  • In the second place

Use ‘secondly’ instead of ‘In the second place’

• Demonstrating the uniformity of the school is the first benefit that we can see from wearing a school uniform.

Make it simpler: “All school uniforms will be provided with a logo to show the school’s unity.”

By the way, a very interesting subject, however, personally, I don’t think wearing school uniforms can create unity. Not even a parliamentary act would help establish that. I would also recommend rereading your text a few times before you post it.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for all your advices !!!

2 Likes

Hi PhuongDu,

You’re very welcome, however “advice” is an uncountable noun, so “Thank you for your advice”.
Thanks for responding.

3 Likes

Exactly, ‘advice’ is uncountable and yet so many people are not aware of this fact:

3 Likes

Here’s a little dialogue of a script I’m writing:

• Constance: “I’m so afraid of Titus”.
  • Lane: “Then take my advice and stay as far away from him as possible. He will even kill you if he has to”.

It’s based on a film with Joan Crawford, called Flamingo Road.

3 Likes

Indeed, despite the fact that it has been explained so many times on the forum. Perhaps if members scrolled a little more they’d find out for themselves. Like “far more better”. It is wrong, we don’t say “more better” we say “far better or much better”.

3 Likes

Masme, I think when we compare two things, we usually do not use ‘the’ as in: The city of London is better than that of Leeds.
But when we compare the two cities like ‘London is the better of two cities’, we use ‘the’.

2 Likes

True, but in PhuongDu’s post two school policies are compared.

1 Like