rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasion

Hi,

I lighted on this sentence:

If I replace the bold part with “risen to the occasion”, will the sentence retain the same meaning ? In other words, do rise to the challenge and rise to the occasion bear the same meaning ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi Alex

Yes, I’d say you could also use “risen to the occasion” without any real difference in meaning.
[size=84]By the way, you’ve either got the wrong verb or a couple of typos in the title of this thread.[/size] :wink:

Thank you, Amy!

[size=84]The typos are gone[/size] :wink:

I’ve heard “rise to the occasion” used in reference to men who suffer temporary impotency due to over-consumption of alchohol and as a result are unable to copulate, so to speak. I’ve never heard “rise to the challenge” used in that way. Maybe each expression is found in different contexts.

What kind of books do you usually read Molly? :wink:

Ones with pictures. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to quote daemon99’s “I am head over heels in love with English” to ask a question: why “head over heels”? Shouldn’t “heels over head” be reasonable to manifest the hidden meaning? (half fun) :slight_smile:

No, it shouldn’t, I believe, the idiom goes “to be head over heels in love” :slight_smile:

Could you tell me why, Alex? :slight_smile:

Many native speakers I’ve met do say only “I’m head over heels”.

I mean, why? Is it normal to be head over heels? Everyone is, isn’t it? To fall in love intensely should be heels over head, right? I am sorry I made a half fun on it but I am sure the idiom originally meant that.

Hi Haihao

You’re right about that idiom not being particularly logical, but logic is often hard (if not impossible) to find in idioms. Have you heard the expression “I could care less”? And how is it possible to “watch your head” when someone tells you to do this? :lol:

Hi, Amy

Actually, “I could care less” is somewhat logical (like some time ago in the same situation, I could care even less about it, but now my “care threshold” has risen) :slight_smile:

What beats me is why you say “that’s a likely story” when you don’t believe that the story holds true.
(like
Speaker A: Yesterday I shook hands with the president
Speaker B: That’s a likely story)

As you would say, go figure :lol:

Hi, Haihao

To me, “head over heels” always conjures up a mental image of a person who’s running so fast to the object of his/her adoration that he’s almost rolling on the ground with his head over his heels. I know it’s a bit crazy, but that’s how I imagine it :slight_smile:

Interesting interpretation, Alex. :lol:

Mine is even crazier. :lol:

When you are head over heels in love with somebody, you are so badly in love with them that you submit yourself to them by bowing so much that your head is over your heels. :lol:

I know it doesn’t make sense, but then what does? :lol:

It sure does !
And what even more important is that these “interpretations” hit the target, e.g. help you remember the idiom. :wink:

WOW, what imaginations!

Mine was simple, it’s all about choosing MEN over SHOES.

You know how we girls adore our heels… :lol: