Reading several books on that subject, Bill considered himself an expert.

Hi,
Is there anything wrong with this sentence? (in standard grammar):

Reading several books on that subject, Bill considered himself an expert.

Many thanks
Nessie

“Reading several books on that subject, Bill considered himself as/of an expert.” would be better, I think.

Hi,

Maybe ‘Having read…’?

Regards

Or “After reading…”.

Maybe “Reading several books on that subject, Bill next/then/now considered himself an expert.”

Hi Haihao and SkiIuck,

I agree with SkiIuck about “having read…”, but I just wonder if it’s still all right if we use “reading…”

As for “Bill considered himself an expert”, I don’t think it’s wrong. IMHO, “Bill considered himself as an expert” is all right but I’ve never heard anyone say “Bill considered himself of an expert”…

I think ‘reading’ and ‘having read’ are both grammatically correct though ‘having read’ makes better sense.

I’ve also heard “after having read”.

O yes, that’s right, although ‘having read’ seems to me ringing a sound of ‘after’ itself, but that’s language, I suppose, which isn’t math anyway. :slight_smile:

I agree.

In my opinion, the sentence is fine as it stands.
reading suggests that he’s reading several books on that subject at present and because he is able to read them, he considers himself an expert.

I heard the expression “consider somebody something” with or without “as”

Take a look at this: dictionary.cambridge.org/define. … &dict=CALD

But, to be completely sure we need native speakers to say the final word on this thread :slight_smile:

The way ‘reading’ has been used in the context is awkward at best. I’d recommend changing it to one of these, for example:

• Having read several books on that subject, Bill considered himself an expert.
  • After reading several books on that subject, Bill considered himself an expert.

What’s your opinion of “after having read”?

I’m not Yankee, but I find “After having read” to be grammatical, although it suggests, possibly, a transition. Bill was very nervous about the idea of becoming a father, but after having read several books on the subject, he considered himself an expert."

I don’t find it very elegant writing - I’d prefer the simpler “after he read.” But I don’t find it ungrammatical.

Thanks a lot, everybody.
Actually, I myself do find “reading” a bit unsuitable and that I would be much better to change it into “having read”, “after reading”, “after he read” or “after he had read”. As for “after having read”, I agree with Barb_D that it’s grammatical. I think it’s the reduced form of “after he had read…” (which is grammatical :))

Regards.
Nessie.