Racial identity and speech

I think the poster in question was ill-advised to embark on a discussion of race with a white middle-aged male who enjoys pretending to be a young black female.

MrP

Molly, Jamie said “most” in that quote… and I somewhat agree with him.

If you lined up all 40 million (or so) African Americans and asked them each to speak, one at a time, many similarities would likely be present in the majority of the speech – at least in vocal inflections.

I’m not saying it’s attractive or unattractive, just that that’s probably what would happen.

And sadly, the one here and there who DIDN’T talk that way would be singled out for questioning:

• Where did you get your degree?
  • For which company do you work?
  • In which suburb did you grow up?

Whereas with the standard dialect, some assumptions would, rightly or wrongly, be made. (and I agree with Amy and Alan that we need to get away from those assumptions)

And no, I’m not going to try to speak ebonics – I can’t pull it off very well. I don’t know the lingo too well.

I can, however, mimic a standard African-American accent. I do it around my A-A co-workers when I feel like getting smacked. hehe

(no, they’re cool. I try to sound hip sometimes and most of the time it backfires, so mostly I just talk like myself now)

Quite true, I’m not so young.

What difference would the identity of poster make, the question was, after all, a question. Jamie replied to the question, not the poster, I think.

Gone to Lunch.

Molly, are you forgetting who you’re talking to or about again, or are you simply misquoting on purpose? Didn’t you actually post that here yourself, saying that someone over at antimoon had posted it? :?

And let’s be honest about antimoon. There is no registration required there, so for all we know, you could have planted that post yourself.

And I might also be you.

You have answered your own question. If the identity of the poster did not make a difference, white middle-aged men would not enjoy pretending to be not-so-young black females.

MrP

Mr P’s doing what he does best, i.e. sniping. What is this obsession he has with me? He follows me from forum to forum. Can he explain his behaviour? I think not.

:?

You might be an American female pretending to be a British male pretending to be a Nigerian female?

And you might be trying to hurt me because you love me. Is that it, Mr P?

:? :?

How would a post about “Furrykef”'s post at Antimoon relate to you, old thing?

Explain.

MrP

Watch my “lips”:

What is this obsession Mr P has with me? He follows me from forum to forum. Can he explain his behaviour? I think not.

It’s called “answering your question”, old fruit:

MrP

And this is the way you answer my questions, is it?

As I said:

What is this obsession Mr P has with me? He follows me from forum to forum. Can he explain his behaviour? I think not.

You asked me to comment on a post at Antimoon; then responded with “Quite true”. Meanwhile, the passage you quote incorporates an amendment you yourself suggested. So I don’t quite see the problem.

Better check your dates.

MrP

Stalking is not a question of who joined a certain forum when, it’s about what you do when you visit a forum. As I said, you follow me around and snipe. Why do you do that? What is this big interest you have in me? Why do you spend 50% of your time on fora attacking me, questioning me about my private life, accusing me of things you think are true? Why do you do that?

The answer begins with “because”, but I expect yours will begin with “prove it” or something so pathetically chickenlike as that.

Our biggest sniper is now accusing someone of following him around and sniping. This person persecutes and then complains about being persecuted.

You’ve complained about that often enough, Jamie. Has anything been done about it?

No, you’re still here.